Saturday, June 28, 2014

6/27/14 Punting like Ray Guy (standard 0-2)

I went to bed early, but kept waking up a few times, which sucked.   Because they were doing "Commander" at Gamescape North, I went over to Anime Imports for the 4pm Standard.

Match 1:  GR Monsters  (1-2)

Game 1:

I kept a hand with Elvish Mysti and Domri Rade, but my opponent got turn 3 Kalonian Hydra, followed by Twinflame and Kalonian Hydra attack.  Geez.

Game 2:

I won off Turn 3 Stormbreath Dragon, and double Ghor-Clan Rampager bloodrush.

Game 3:

I kept a slow hand with two temples, a basic forest, Stomping Grounds, Domri Rade, Xenagos the Reveler and Vraska the Unseen.

I lost to Xenagos the Reveler + Xenagos, God of Revels wombo combo.  I made a mistake by failing to play  Stomping Grounds tapped for a couple of turns, instead opting to play basic forests.  I had Putrefy for his Kalonian Hydra but didn't have enough blockers for his Satyr tokens + Courser.  

Match 2:  Bant control (0-1)

Game 1:

This was a 45 minute game.

I ended up conceding to Kiora Ultimate.   I punted this game in a few places.

1)  Missed a Domri activation.  (this didn't matter since he had Banishing Light the next turn for it)

2)  When he had Jace at 2 Loyalty and Kiora at 3 Loyalty, and a Sylvan Caryatid in play.  I had two Ghor-Clan Rampager and a Courser of Kruphix (one of the Rampagers could not deal or receive damage because of Kiora +1).  I attacked the Jace with my Courser and my Rampager (the one that could deal damage).

3)   Next turn he had Detention Sphere for my Ghor-Clan Rampagers.  Then he had a Supreme Verdict to get rid of my Courser, and started hitting my Mutavault with Kiora.  I end up scrying from a temple, and I put my second Mutavault at the bottom of my library, even though I had Domri emblem.  If I had kept the Mutavault I could have attacked Kiora next turn and brought it to 1 Loyalty.

I had a Dreadbore in hand but it didn't matter since he had previously showed me he had Dissolve in hand, and plenty of mana to cast it.

Result:  0-2

I also ended up skipping the 6/28/14 Modern tournament at Anime Imports.  I went to bed around 12:30 last night, but woke up at 3:30 a.m. and couldn't fall asleep again until 6 am, then woke up at 9:30 am and couldn't fall asleep again.  I saw no reason to drive 45 minutes one way to play in a tournament when I had five and a half hours sleep.  I would rather spend my time playing PS3 games instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment