Saturday, June 14, 2014

6/13/14 You are my candy girl (FNM Standard 3-0-1)

I went to Gamescape North to play standard tonight.  The number of people was a bit low.  I suspect this had something to do with Vintage Masters being released.  None of the usual "grinders" were there.

I played the Collin Stiles Jund Monsters deck from SCG Open Providence on 6/7.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=68671

Creatures (25)

4 Elvish Mystic
3 Ghor-Clan Rampager
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater

Planeswalkers (7)

4 Domri Rade
3 Xenagos, the Reveler

Lands (23)

5 Forest
3 Blood Crypt
1 Mutavault
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Temple of Malice

Spells (5)

2 Abrupt Decay
2 Dreadbore
1 Mizzium Mortars

Sideboard

2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Nylea's Disciple
1 Primeval Bounty
2 Golgari Charm
2 Putrefy
1 Ultimate Price
1 Vraska the Unseen
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return

Match 1:  RW aggro (2-1)

Game 1:  I clearly had an advantage machine with Domri Rade and Xenagos, the Reveler

Game 2:  Lost to Tajic, Blade of the Legion plus haste guys.

Game 3:  I wasted a bunch of time pussyfooting around Tajic, Blade of the Legion, and Gideon, Champion of Justice.  I won Game 3 in turns.  Apparently I missed an onboard kill on turn 2, but it didn't matter, still had it.

Match 2:   GW aggro (2-0)

Game 1:  Stormbreath Dragon is good against white beaters.dec.   I got down to 1 life, but managed to crawl back up into the life totals thanks to Scavenging Ooze and Courser of Kruphix.

Game 2:  My opponent had turn 1 Soldier of the Pantheon, but I had turn 2 Golgari Charm.
Game ended up going to turns, but my opponent scooped to Domri Rade Ultimate and Vraska up to 6 loyalty.   Basically I would have killed him on turn 2 or turn 4.

Match 3:  Mono-green aggro (2-0)

Game 1:  Opponent conceded with double Courser of Kruphix, Polukranos, World Eater, and Domri Rade.  Wait come back!  I wasn't done yet.

Game 2:  Opponent played Enlarge on a Witchstalker.  He seemed to not notice I had an 8/8 Polukranos and a 2/4 Courser of Kruphix to block with.   After making an 8/8 Scavenging Ooze, and dropping a second Polukranos, I killed his last creature with Domri Rade fight, and then he conceded.

Match 4:  Mono-blue aggro (1-1 draw)

Game 1:  Opponent missed onboard kill with Thassa and double Master of Waves for a few turns.  It didn't matter because I ended up dying.

It turns out Perplexing Chimera is a pain in the ass.  He trades his Perplexing Chimera for my Courser of Kruphix, then I punt by blocking the Perplexing Chimera /Stormbreath Dragon on a couple elemental tokens, not realizing the tokens are 3/2 now.  That sucked.  I ended up losing to his topdeck Domestication on my Stormbreath Dragon, and a swing for 21 damage.

Game 2:  I kept a sketchy hand, with only green mana and Mutavault.   I ended up getting there with a 4/4 Mistcutter Hydra and a 3/3 Mistcutter Hydra.  Again, my opponent was not aggressively using Thassa to kill me.

There was no time for a Game 3.

Result:  1st place out of 15.


No comments:

Post a Comment