Saturday, June 14, 2014

6/14/14 That Lucky Old Sun (Modern tournament, 3-0)

I went over to Anime Imports to play in the Saturday modern tournament.  Apparently most people went to River City Comics in Sacramento to play at the Modern PTQ.   So not many people were there, but eventually they got 9 people to play.

This is the list I played, credit to Magix from MTGSalvation:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/proven-modern/219751-ur-and-rug-twin?page=82#c2065

Lands 22
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Pool
1 Stomping Ground
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Hinterland Harbor
2 Sulfur Falls
2 Tectonic Edge

Creatures 14
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Pestermite
1 Deceiver Exarch
1 Vendilion Clique

Other Spells 24
3 Splinter Twin
4 Serum Visions
2 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Flame Slash
3 Remand
2 Spell Snare
2 Cryptic Command
1 Electrolyze
1 Twisted Image
1 Shadow of Doubt

Sideboard 15
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Destructive Revelry
1 Combust
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Batterskull
2 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Dispel
1 Negate
1 Spellskite

I wanted my 15th sideboard slot to be Sowing Salt, but I apparently couldn't find my copies of Sowing Salt. :(   So I used a second Ancient Grudge.

Match 1:  Mono-green Devotion (2-1)

Game 1:

This was a longer game where I killed a bunch of mana dorks.  Opponent tapped out for Garruk Wildspeaker into Primeval Titan.   I combo'd out next turn.

Game 2:

Kept a 1 lander on the draw with Serum Visions.  Proceeded to draw into the combo, but didn't get a 4th land until the turn after my opponent played Genesis Wave for 11, and find two Torpor Orb.  I should not have used my Ancient Grudge to kill Sword of Fire and Ice.  It didn't really matter, and having both sides of Ancient Grudge to kill the Torpor Orbs would have allowed me to win.

Game 3:

Combo'd out turn 4.

Match 2:  Kiki Pod (2-0)

Game 1:

This was the first time I played against this deck.  I actually thought he was Kibler Zoo at first, with Stomping Ground into Noble Hierarch.   But then he played a couple Birds of Paradise, and a Glen Elendra Archmage.  He sacced his Archmage and I played a Shadow of Doubt to stop him from searching, while the Persist trigger was on the stack.   Then I played an Electrolyze targeting his Archmage + Eternal Witness to make him sac the Archmage to counter the spell.

He got a Linvala, Keeper of Silence which shut down my combo.  But then he punted by playing Phantasmal Image copying my Pestermite, and sac'ing Linvala to get Kiki-Jiki.  Once I told him that didn't work, he looked sheepish.  I played Pestermite EOT.  Next turn I played a Gitaxian Probe, seeing he only had one land in hand and nothing else, then combo'd out.

Game 2:

He got out turn 2 Birthing Pod on the play.  Well done.

I played an Anger of the Gods to kill his Kitchen Finks.  Then he played Voice of Resurgence into Birthing Pod Sac to get another Kitchen Finks (I think he forgot to put a -1/-1 counter on the Finks).  He attacked me with Resto Angel to take me to 9 life.   It didn't matter since I topdecked another Anger of the Gods to swing in for 5 damage with Tarmogoyf.   #hadit

Match 3:  Mono-U tron (2-1)

Game 1:

I punted this game.  He was at 16 life.  I had two 4/5 Tarmogoyfs.  He had a Solemn Simulacrum in play.  I had a Flame Slash in hand.  I could have Flame Slashed his Solemn Simulacrum, buffing my Tarmogoyfs to 5/6, then attack for 10.  Then next turn I would have had him dead.  Instead, I save Flame Slash for a possible Platinum Angel.   I attack, he blocks one 4/5 Goyf, goes to 12.  Then he plays an Oblivion Stone, no mana left to sac it.  I attack with both Goyfs, and bounce his O-stone end of my turn with Cryptic Command.  He plays the last tron piece, plays O-stone, sacrifices it during my turn.  Then he goes Mindslaver into Academy Ruins and I scoop.

Game 2:

He's beating me down with Snapcaster Mage and Treasure Mage, I'm beating back with Vendilion Clique and Pestermite.   I play a Snapcaster Mage to flashback Serum Visions and draw a Lightning Bolt, doming him for 3 to end the game.  #hadit

Game 3:

This was a bit awkward.  I had turn 1 Gitaxian Probe.  Saw he had Mindslaver + Academy Ruins combo in hand.  I played turn 2 Tarmogoyf into Turn 3 Relic of Progenitus.   I had to play Tectonic Edge turn 2 because I was short on lands.

Eventually I blow up his Urza's Tower with my Tectonic Edge.    Then he plays Oblivion Stone.  Then Mindslaver the next turn.  I have to let him sacrifice Mindslaver then I pop my Relic (so he can't recur the Mindslaver).   He looks in my hand, sees I have double Pestermite/one Deceiver Exarch/Ancient Grudge/Electrolyze.  He just taps my lands and passes turn.  I am surprised he didn't try to Electrolye my Tarmogoyf since it was a 0/1 (because of Relic).

Eventually, I manage to burn him out with Lightning Bolt into Electrolyze.

I didn't board my Thrun the Last Troll vs. mono-U tron.  Not sure if I should have done that.

Result:  3-0, 20 dollars store credit.  I picked up another Badlands, to fill out my Legacy deck.

These are the cards now I am still missing:

2 Wasteland (75 lightly played on tcgplayer)
2 Bayou  (125 moderated played on tcgplayer)
3 Wooded Foothills (38 lightly played on tcgplayer)
1 Bloodstained Mire  (32 lightly played on tcgplayer)

So currently the total would be:  546 dollars to finish my Legacy Jund deck.   Eww.


No comments:

Post a Comment