Saturday, June 21, 2014

6/20/14 Ron Paul's Whimsical Jalopy (Theros block draft 2-1)

Work ended up super busy today, so I didn't have time to exercise before the tournament, or take a nap.

I went over to Gamescape North for Theros block draft.  I don't actually like Theros block draft, but I didn't feel like driving to Versus Games to (draft) or Anime Imports to (draft).  Geez.

P1P1:  Polymorphous Rush,

P1P2:  Got passed Dawnbringer Charioteers.  Also there was a foil Reprisal.

P2P1:  Took Siren of the Fanged Coast over Nessian Wilds Ravager.

P3P1:  Took Ordeal of Heliod over Triad of the Fates.

So I ended up drafting a mostly blue deck, but not enough cards to make mono blue, which was annoying.

Apparently the guy across from me was white blue.  Weird.

Red green black
Red green white
Red black
Blue green (left)
White blue (me)
Red black (right)
White black King Macar
White blue

DECK:

BLUE:
1 Deepwater Hypnotist
2 Wavecrash Triton
1 Nimbus Naiad
1 Chorus of the Tides
1 Cloaked Siren
1 Prescient Chimera
1 Sealock Monster
1 Siren of the Fanged Coast
1 Whitewater Naiads
1 Retraction Helix
1 Triton Tactics
1 Pin to the Earth
1 Polymorphous Rush
2 Sudden Storm

WHITE:
1 Hopeful Eidolon
1 Stonewise Fortifier
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Observant Alseid
1 Dawnbringer Charioteers
1 Ajani's Presence
1 Ordeal of Heliod

LANDS:

9 Island
8 Plans

SIDEBOARD:
BLUE:
1 Triton Fortune Hunter
1 Coastline Chimera
1 Kraken of the Straits
1 Aerial Formation
1 Oracle's Insight

GREEN:
2 Satyr Grovedancer
1 Pheres-Band Tromper
1 Mortal's Resolve
1 Skyreaping
1 Time to Feed

RED:
1 Magma Spray
1 Fall of the Hammer

WHITE:
1 Elite Skirmisher
1 Great Hart
1 Ephara's Warden
2 Armanent of Nyx

MULTICOLOR
1 Spellheart Chimera

Match 1:  (2-0)

Game 1:

I kept a sketchy 6 land hand with Retraction Helix, ended up drawing into gas.  My opponent punted by attacking his 3/3 into my Sealock Monster, when I had 8 mana up.  He played a Rise to the Challenge but I responded by Monstrous'ing my Sealock Monster.

Game 2:

My opponent was super aggressive with Akroan Line-Breaker into Feral Invocation, taking me down to 6 life.  I attacked with Cloaked Siren and Dawnbringer Charioteers, buffing my Dawnbringer Charioteers with Ajani's Presence so I gained 4 life (instead of 2 life), then played a Chorus of the Tides.  Next turn, he attacked with Akroan Line-Breakers and used a Rise to the Challenge to give his guy intimidate and +2/+0 to bring me to 2 life, so it was important that I had gained 2 extra life the previous turn.  Next turn, my opponent scooped to my flyers.

Match 2: (1-2)

Game 1:

He apparently he been playing Magic very early since he had a six digit DCI number.  During the games, he reminded me a lot of this guy who used to play Sealed at Gamescape North, mainly because of the weird noises/aggressive comments he was making.  He also said he thought pre-sideboarding in drafts/sealed was cool, which I voiced my displeasure with that opinion.

I kept a 3 lander on the draw but got stuck on mono blue with a few white cards in hand.  I eventually drew a plains, after he built up a Triad of the Fates voltron with Observant Alseid and Aspect of Gorgon, and a Underworld Coinsmith and Aspect of Gorgon voltron.  He had double Asphyxiate, and Lash of the Whip, and Cast Into Darkness for my Whitewater Naiads.  I won thanks to Whitewater Naiads + a bunch of enchantments.

Game 2:

Opponent got turn 4 King Macar.  Must be nice.

Game 3:

Again, opponent got turn 4 King Macar.  What do you get the man who has it all.   Suited up his King Macar with Aspect of Gorgon, and his Underworld Coinsmith with Aspect of Gorgon.

Then he killed me with Marshmist Titan into Gray Merchant of Asphodel.

He apparently got his King Macar passed to him.  I wonder who actually passes that card, unless they got a foil money card.   Of course, I find out later he won the draft pod.

Thinking about common removals in my colors:  Last Breath, Excoriate, Divine Verdict, would have been good for King Macar.  Nullify is okay against King Macar.  Armament of Nyx and Oppressive Rays not good against King Macar.   This is why Theros Block draft is terribad.

Match 3:  UG (2-0)

Game 1:

I kept a 2 lander on the play.  My opponent played a turn 3 Crystalline Nautilus, I killed it with a Retraction Helix targeting it.  Then I drew into some lands.  I built a voltron of Nimbus Naiad + Observant Alseid + Hopeful Eidolon.  My opponent countered my Dawnbringer Charioteers with Countermand.  *sadface*   I ended up winning off Polymorphous Rush turning my flyers into Sealock Monster after blocks.  Sick!

Game 2:

Polymorphous Rush did some work again, turning my creatures into Floodtide Serpent after blocks, allowing mad damage and a creature kill (his Floodtide Serpent with -3/-0 from Deepwater Hypnotist).   He played a few more creatures, but I got him down to 3 life, and then he tapped out for Humbler of Mortals.  I played Retraction Helix on my Deepwater Hypnotist to bounce his Horizon Chimera, then I attacked for lethal with my 3/5 Dawnbringer Charioteers.

Result:  2-1, 2 booster packs

No comments:

Post a Comment