Monday, June 16, 2014

4/12/14 (flashback modern tournament post, 1-0-2)

I went to the game store in Pacifica to play Modern.  I also wanted to cash out of my 32 dollars in store credit from when I went to a GPT in December.   I didn't know what to expect when I went there, or whether even the event would fire.
We barely got there by 1:55 p.m., 5 minutes before the start time, but it didn't matter, since the event didn't actually start until 2:30 p.m.  They had about 16 people in total?  I think.  
I played the Todd Anderson RUG Twin list.  I changed some of the cards in the sideboard to work better against the UWR control-heavy meta at the San Rafael store.
Match 1:  G/R Tron (1-1 draw)
Game 1:
I win by attacking with 2/1 flyers and keeping my opponent's Wurmcoil Engine tapped down.
Game 2:
I kept a hand with Splinter Twin and Pestermite.  Of course, I proceed to never draw a second red mana until my opponent plays Emrakul. the Aeons Torn.  So sad.  
Game 3:
Game went to time.
Match 2:  Mono-G Devotion (2-0)
Game 1:
I countered my opponent's Genesis Wave with Cryptic Command.  I draw a second Cryptic Command off the first one.  The next turn, I decide to playPestermite tapping down my opponent's Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx during her upkeep, instead of holding up the second Cryptic Command (probably a mistake).   It didn't matter, because next turn I play Splinter Twin and win.  It turned out my opponent did have a second Genesis Wave but wanted to play more elves instead.  
Game 2:
My opponent never draws her combo pieces, and I turn 5 Splinter Twin.  
Match 3:  Melira Pod (1-1 draw)
Game 1:
I punt by playing Splinter Twin when my opponent has four mana up and a Voice of Resurgence token and 4 mana.   He plays Chord of Calling, tapping the token, for Spellskite.   He redirects the Splinter Twin to his Spellskite.  Next turn I try to Cryptic Command bounce the Spellskite, but he makes a copy of Spellskite and redirects the bounce to the token.  
The worst part is I had Gitaxian Probed my opponent and seen the Chord of Calling.  I didn't realize Melira Pod decks play main deck Spellskite now.  
Of course, I die to Voice of Resurgence token/Kitchen Finks/Melira, Sylvok Outcast beats.  
Game 2:
Lightning Bolt my opponent's Voice of Resurgence, then Lightning Bolt the token.  
I steal my opponent's Noble Hierarch with Threads of Disloyalty, and beatdown with double Pestermite.  My opponent had Birthing Pod in hand.   It doesn't matter, since I am so far ahead and Birthing Pod wouldn't save him.  
Game 3:
I keep a hand with double Cryptic CommandCounterflux and four lands.   I draw into a Thrun, the Last Troll but I don't want to play it unless I have Counterflux mana up (so I can counter Birthing Pod).   Instead I beatdown with a Pestermite, but it isn't enough to beat him before time runs out.  
Result:  1-0-2, 8 dollars store credit
They were offering a "grab bag" draft, but I was too hungry to play.  

No comments:

Post a Comment