Monday, June 16, 2014

10/19/13 (flashback Theros Game Day, 3-1 Swiss, 2-0 top 4)

The LGS was holding a Game Day event, the first one since I started going to tournaments at the LGS (which started with the M13 prerelease). I spent the previous night working on reorganizing my card collection and putting together Mono-Blue devotion, staying up until 1:45 a.m. the previous night. I woke up around 7:15 a.m. then fell asleep again until 9:30 a.m. I felt pretty crappy, regardless. I had the idea to put together Devotion to Gruul instead of mono-blue, and I ended up not getting to the tournament until 11:50 a.m. (10 minutes before the scheduled start time) but the tournament ended up getting delayed 15 minutes because of people who called in. In the end, 16 people showed up (which was double the number of people who showed up to the M14 Game Day event I went to in SF). 

The reason I showed up so late is because I decided to change my deck from Mono-Red devotion to Devotion to Gruul (the Team Channel Fireball version). 

This is the deck list I played:

DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
LANDS:
12 Mountain
Temple of Abandon
Stomping Ground
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Gruul Guildgate

CREATURES:
Stormbreath Dragon
Frostburn Weird
Fanatic of Mogis
Burning-Tree Emissary
Boros Reckoner
Ash Zealot
Purphoros, God of the Forge
INSTANTS/SORCERIES:
Magma Jet

OTHER SPELLS:
Domri Rade
Hammer of Purphoros


I had two Magma Jet instead of two Xenagos, The Reveler (because I don't own any Xenagos). I'm not sure if Xenagos would have made a difference in any matchups I played. 

Match 1: BW (2-0)

Game 1: 

Not really much to report here. My opponent basically played Phalanx Captain and Corpse HaulerFanatic of Mogis finished him off.

Game 2:

Same as Game 1. 

Match 2: Junk good stuff (1-2)

Game 1:

Won this game cause my opponent got flooded.

Game 2:

Lost to Call of the Conclave and Voice of Resurgence backed up with Selesnya Charm (exiling my Purphoros), Putrefy, and Doom Blade. He killed my first Stormbreath Dragon then I had the choice to play a second Stormbreath Dragon or a Boros Reckoner. Foolishly, I played the Reckoner and lost to Abrupt Decay and Selesnya Charm

Game 3:

Killed his first Centaur token with Mizzium Mortars, then he got another Centaur token in play, which I didn't kill for some reason, and then he suited it up with Unflinching Courage. He attacked into my Ember Swallower and Burning Tree Emissary with impunity, which made me think he had Selesnya Charm, which he indeed had, when I tried to go Monstrous on the Ember Swallower. Eh, there was no chance I was beating Unflinching Courage in my deck anyways. 

Match 3: Mono-blue Card Draw

Game 1:

Mulled to 5, proceeded to get kicked in the teeth by Stealer of Secrets with Thassa's Emissary and Bident of Thassa. Again, red/green has problems dealing with 5/5's.

Game 2:

Opponent got the same "stuck on 3 lands" thing I had first game. He let me get off the Domri Rade emblem, even though he had a Judge's Familiar in play, he was attacking me and not Domri (why). I quickly finished him off after that.

Game 3: 

This game was a bit closer. I punted when he had two Judge's Familiar in play, and I tried to Magma Jet his Mutavault when he attacked. I forgot Judge's Familiar had text. :p I still ended up winning anyways, with Domri Rade and Boros Reckoner to clear his board, then Fanatic of Mogis to finish.

Match 4: Simic Heroics (2-0)

Game 1: 

Opponent played turn 2 Deadly Recluse followed by turn 3 Reverent Hunter. I removed the Recluse with Magma Jet then he played a secondReverent Hunter and a Centaur Battlemaster. I still won thanks to Fanatic of Mogis.

Game 2:

This game played out similarly to the first, except I kept a 2 lander. I blew Mizzium Mortars on Vorel of the Hull Clade. I finished him off with Purphoros, God of the Forge.

I barely made it into the Top 4. Two people had 10 points, and 3 people had 9 points. I was fourth place thanks to tiebreakers, and made it into the Single-Elimination rounds.

Match 5: Mono-Black Devotion (2-1)

Game 1:

Mulled to 6, because I didn't want to keep 2 lands/3 Stormbreath Dragon. Ultimately got there thanks to double Stormbreath Dragon and Purphoros, God of the Forge.

I punted by using Domri Rade +1 ability THEN playing Temple of Abandon. Ugh. 

Game 2:

Lost due to getting land screwed on a mull to 5 and got finished off by Abhorrent Overlord, thanks to my opponent drawing 3 a turn with doubleUnderworld Connections

Game 3:

Kept a 7. Opponent was a bit land screwed, I had a choice between playing Stormbreath Dragon or attacking with Fanatic of Mogis and keeping upMagma Jet for Mutavault. Opponent activated Mutavault to block my Fanatic, I used Magma Jet before blocks, Stone Rain + Scry 2 sounds good. 

I punted because I had a Ratchet Bomb with two counters and my opponent had a Ratchet Bomb with two counters. I played Ash Zealot, attacked, did 2 damage, then my opponent popped bomb to kill my bomb/Zealot. I should have popped my bomb before playing Zealot to kill my opponent's bomb. 

Match 6: Junk Fabled Hero (2-1)

Game 1:

Opponent won the die roll, and chose to draw. I kept a 1 lander on the play with a Scry land, and three two drops. I figured this would be a good hand, but opponent played a turn 3 Fabled Hero with turn 4 Ethereal Armor. Since my deck doesn't have any removal besides Magma Jet main deck, I was bound to lose. He played a Lifebane Zombie but I didn't have any green/white creatures in hand.

Game 2:

I boarded into the full Mizzium MortarShockAnger of the Gods Removal suite. I removed Burning-Tree Emissary and Boros Reckoner since he played maindeck [/CARD]Lifebane Zombie[/CARD]. 

Removal on his Fabled Hero was key. Fanatic of Mogis followed by monstrous mode Stormbreath Dragon finished him.

Game 3:

Mulled to 6, kept two Mizzium Mortar and four lands. Since he played a turn three Fabled Hero and a turn 4 Fabled Hero this turned out to be correct. He played a Thoughtseize on me when I had two lands in hand. Finished him off with Purphoros, God of the Forge attacking with Stormbreath Dragonand Fanatic of Mogis

I punted again by playing a mountain instead of Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx which caused me to miss a God pump (which would have done two extra damage). Oh well. 

Result: Game Day Theros mat, 10 Theros booster packs, respect+++ from the LGS players. All in all, it was a pretty good day, besides the multiple punts.

Hammer of Purphoros turned out to be pretty awful for me. I sided them out every game. I never felt like I was "flooding out" in any of my games. Instead, I felt like I was mana constrained, when I didn't have Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx and 5+ devotion to red. I think this deck could honestly use 1-2 more land. I would probably cut the Hammers. 

I never drew my Anger of the Gods when I sided them in, but I guess they would be pretty good against devotion strategies.

No comments:

Post a Comment