Monday, June 16, 2014

12/27/13 (flashback Modern tournament post, 2-0-2)

I ran the ProtossX Jund list at FNM tonight, with some variations due to not being able to get cards in time for the tournament. I ordered the cards I needed on Sunday and had them shipped 2 day USPS priority mail, but due to the Christmas holiday, I didn't receive the package by today. 

The substitutions I had to settle for:

Blood Crypt instead of Lavaclaw Reaches
Chandra, Pyromaster instead of Grim Lavamancer

2 Ancient Grudge instead of Avalanche Riders
1 Rakdos Charm instead of Jund Charm
1 Maelstrom Pulse instead of Dismember
1 Olivia Voldaren instead of Tectonic Edge

DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
24 LANDS
Marsh Flats
Blackcleave Cliffs
Raging Ravine
Verdant Catacombs
Swamp
Stomping Ground
Overgrown Tomb
Misty Rainforest
Forest
Blood Crypt

18 CREATURES
Deathrite Shaman
Tarmogoyf
Scavenging Ooze
Dark Confidant
Grim Lavamancer
15 INSTANTS AND SORCERIES
Lightning Bolt
Abrupt Decay
Thoughtseize
Inquisition of Kozilek
Maelstrom Pulse

OTHER SPELLS
Liliana of the Veil


Match 1: GB Kibler midrange 1-1 draw

Game 1:

Gave him a beatdown with Tarmogoyf, then nickel and dimed him out with Deathrite Shaman

Game 2:

Abrupt Decay is very good against my deck, with all the 1-2-3 drops. Frown 

He had me on the backfoot with Arbor Colossus monstrosity, and a Reaper of the Wilds. I decided to quadruple?? block the Colossus, which wasn't so good, since it was a 4 for 1. Of course, two turns later I draw a Terminate. He plays another Reaper of the Wilds and I can't terminate since he has mana up for the hexproof ability. Bleh. 

Game 3:

It was turn 4 (of extra turns). I was at 4 life, he was at 6. He had a Reaper of the Wilds in play. I had two Tarmogoyf and a Dark Confidant in play. I accidentally thought he was at 9 life, so I thought I couldn't kill him. There was some confusion because he said I put a land into play tapped so I couldn't Lightning Bolt him so I used a search land, put a Blood Crypt into play untapped, then bolted him, but forgot to write down the 3 life. 

Later, he told me I could have attacked him, but he had a Hero's Downfall for one of my Tarmogoyf, and would have blocked the other Tarmogoyf with Reaper. Then it would be turn 5 and he couldn't kill me. 

Match 2: UW control 2-0

Game 1: 

Thoughtseize away a Supreme Verdict, leave him with Frost Titan

I get the Liliana of the Veil ultimate off. Game over.

Game 2:

He plays a Isperia, Supreme Judge. I kill it with Maelstrom Pulse and finish him off with Deathrite Shaman and Grim Lavamancer

Match 3: UWR control 1-1 draw

Game 1:

I win off Liliana of the Veil tearing apart his hand, and Tarmogoyf.

Game 2:

Lose to counters/burn/Snapcaster. 

Game 3:

He kills/counters all my threats (damn topdecked Spell Snare a turn after I Thoughtseize. I end up drawing a crapton of land (and no manlands), so we go to time. 

Match 4: 5 color sliver 2-0

Game 1:

Opponent mulls to 5. I get off the Liliana of the Veil ultimate. Scoop phase.

Game 2:

This game ends up kinda grindy, because my opponent plays Boros Charm to keep his slivers alive. Instead of going for the Grim Lavamancer orDeathrite Shaman kill strategy, I end up spending multiple turns on using Raging Ravine only to have it repeatedly chump blocked. If I had just focused on burning him out with shaman instead I could have ended the game five turns earlier. 

Result:

2-0-2

8th place out of 28, six booster packs for my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment