Monday, June 16, 2014

3/1/14 (flashback Born of the Gods Game Day, 4-0 Swiss, 2-0 top 4)

3/1/14 Time Keeps on Slippin' Game Day Born of the Gods tournament report 6-0

I didn't get much sleep last night.  After drinking beer and eating pizza, I went to bed around 1:40 a.m.  Then I woke up at 4:00 a.m., watched some of the NumotTheNummy Twitch 24 hour stream, then went back to bed at 5:00 a.m.  I woke up around 7:00 a.m., then time went all the way to 9:00 a.m.  Then I woke up for real, watched the end of the NumotTheNummy Twitch stream, then got ready for the tournament.
14 people showed up to the tournament. 
I was pretty sleepy during the entire match, so I don't remember every match too well, but I will check my tournament notes later. 
Match 1:  Esper Control  (2-1)
Game 1:
Kept 2 lands on the draw, never picked up any other lands until turn 10.  Scooped to Jace, Architect of Thought ultimate, so he can't see what's in my deck. 
Game 2:
This is a grindy game, I manage to land a Nightveil Specter.  Next turn I cast Master of Waves[/CARD pre-combat, so I get four devotion.  I attack with the Specter and take his Jace, Architect of Thought,  He casts Far // Away, bouncing my specter and I sacrifice an elemental token.  I recast Nightveil Specter the next turn, and get a Dissolve.   He then casts Sphinx's Revelation holding up 3 mana.  I Dissolve the Sphinx's Revelation, he counters with his own Dissolve, then I cast Negate on the Dissolve.  Opponent goes to Scoopstown. 
Game 3:
Won in extra turns, thanks to double Mutavault and Tidebinder Mage.  I sac'd my second Mutavault to his Far // Away
Match 2:  Junk Reanimator 2-1
Game 1:
Double 2/3 Cloudfin Raptor and Judge's Familiar beatdown.  Woo.
Game 2:
Game 3:
Game went to extra turns again, I managed to win off Master of the Waves tokens and double Tidebinder Mage to lock down two of his blockers. Bident of Thassa did a bunch of work this game, drawing me a bunch of cards.
Match 3:  Minotaurs (2-1)
Game 1:
Don't remember this game, but I won.
Game 2:
Lost to Minotaur brown-age.
Game 3:
Double Master of Waves was pretty sweet here.
Match 4:  UR Young Pyromancer (2-0)
Game 1:
I made a mistake on Steam Augury giving my opponent Spellheart Chimera and Mizzium Skin, over Lightning StrikeCyclonic Rift, and a land. 
Mulled to 4, got hit by a Spellheart Chimera for 9, and still won. 
Game 2:
Opponent mulled to 5, got stuck on 2 lands.
Match 5:  UR Young Pyromancer 2-0
Game 1:
This game takes a while, between Mizzium MortarsEssence ScatterDissolve, and Cyclonic Rift.  However, I resolve Master of Waves and beat down. 
Game 2:
Double Master of Waves is too stronk for him.
Match 6:  Minotaurs rematch (2-0)
Game 1:
Thassa, God of the Sea smooths my draws significantly, and the air force of double Cloudfin Raptor and Nightveil Specter gets it done. 
Game 2:
Domestication is very good against Boros Reckoner.
I forget to play a Mutavault, missing mana. 
Had a key Negate for Boros Charm that would have killed me, kill my opponent on the swing back. 
Result:  6-0 
14 booster packs

No comments:

Post a Comment