Saturday, August 23, 2014

8/23/14 The Heat is On (M15 draft, 2-1)

I didn't get much sleep last night.  I went to bed around 2 am, and woke up at 8 am.  I couldn't sleep in any longer.

I went over to Versus Games to get some M15 practice before the GPT M15 sealed at D20 games on Sunday morning.

Deck:

P1P1:  Chandra, Pyromaster.  DING

P2P1:  Took Juggernaut over Altac Bloodseeker and Battlefield Forge.

P2P3:  Got passed a Spirit Bonds.  Huh.

P2P8:  Got passed a Preeminent Captain.  I know it's not that good in draft, but really.

P3P1:   Took Haunted Platemail over Stoke the Flames.

P3P4:   Took Triplicate Spirits over Lightning Strike

I make a mistake and pick a 3rd Goblin Roughrider over 1st Scrapyard Mongrel, forgetting I had Juggernaut and Haunted Platemail.  I end up getting passed two more Goblin Roughriders.

DECK:
White:  9
1 Sungrace Pegasus
1 Midnight Guard
1 Preeminent Captain
2 Razorfoot Griffin
-----
1 Spirit Bonds
1 Marked by Honor
1 Sanctified Charge
1 Triplicate Spirits

Red:  12
1 Forge Devil
1 Borderland Marauder
3 Goblin Roughrider
1 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Paragon of Fierce Defiance
-----
2 Inferno Fist
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Heat Ray

Artifact:  2
1 Juggernaut
-----
1 Haunted Platemail

Lands:
9 Mountain
8 Plains

Sideboard:
White:
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
-----
1 Oppressive Rays
1 Pillar of Light
1 Meditation Puzzle

Blue:
1 Fugitive Wizard
1 Welkin Tern

Red:
1 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Torch Fiend
1 Rummaging Goblin
2 Goblin Roughrider
----
1 Clear a Path
2 Lava Axe
1 Blastfire Bolt
1 Might Makes Right

Green:
1 Runeclaw Bear
1 Reclamation Sage
----
1 Hunter's Ambush

Only 13 creatures, but Triplicate Spirits makes 3 Spirit Tokens, and Spirit Bonds can generate Spirit tokens if I have more nontoken creatures to play.   I could have probably dropped the Marked by Honor for a creature full time.

I think it was wrong to not play the Rummaging Goblin over Marked by Honor.  There were plenty of times I flooded out and having a filter card would have helped.   My first and second match were pretty grindy.

Match 1:  GB Dredge (2-1)

Game 1:

I won this game because my opponent didn't block my Razorfoot Griffin with his Carrion Crow.  He was at 9 life, I was attacking with a 4/2 Krenko's Enforcer and a Razorfoot Griffin, he was tapped out (mana).  I then cast Sanctified Charge for lethal.

Game 2:

Lost to Will-Forged Golem + Siege Wurm.

Game 3:

Won because my opponent didn't get any black mana.  I played Chandra, Pyromaster into Sungrace Pegasus with Inferno Fist and Krenko's Enforcer.  I exiled Triplicate Spirits with Chandra and closed the game out with Sanctified Charge.

Match 2:  UB Bounce (1-2)

Game 1:

I get turn 2 Spirit Bonds, but this game ends up super grindy anyways, with my opponent having a ton of bounce spells, plus an Accursed Spirit with Eternal Thirst.  I manage to draw into Inferno Fist to kill his Accursed Spirit.  Then he bounces my Spirit Bonds with Void Snare and plays Illusory Angel.  I quadruple block the Angel with 4 spirit tokens.  He gets a Blood Host up to 5/5 with sacrificing (including sacrificing a Black Cat during my draw step to make me discard a Paragon of Fierce Defiance).   Eventually I win off flying creatures, though.

Game 2:

I killed his Blood Host with Heat Ray, then lost to Shadowcloak Vampire + Eternal Thirst cheese.

Game 3:

I got an early beat with Borderland Marauder, but my opponent played turn 2 Bronze Sable (which I killed with Inferno Fist) and turn 3 Coral Barrier.  I wasted my Heat Ray killing his Coral Barrier when he double-blocked.  Of course, then turn 5 he plays Shadowcloak Vampire, into turn 8 Shadowcloak Vampire.  I get Spirit Bonds online but it's not enough.

This game ended up going to time.  I end up conceding turn 4 because he had me DOB.

Match 3:  UG Ensoul (2-1)

Game 1:

I manage to beat him down with flyers/Krenko's Enforcer, despite the fact that he has Void Snare and Frost Lynx.  I Inferno Fist his Paragon of Gathering Mists and Heat Ray his Amphin Pathmage.

Game 2:

Kept a sketchy hand, my first play was Paragon of Fierce Defiance.  I had Chandra in hand as well but it didn't matter.

My opponent played turn 2 Sacred Armory into turn 3 Ensoul Artifact.  Ugh.

Game 3:

I open with Borderland Marauder into Midnight Guard into Forge Devil to kill his Bronze Sable.  He plays Into the Void bouncing two of my guys.  I play a Spirit Bonds into Goblin Roughrider kicking for a spirit token.   I manage to kill him before he's able to draw into Aetherspouts (thank god).

Result:  2-1 in matches, 5-3 in games.  2 booster packs.

I think I should have played another creature, and it probably should have been Rummaging Goblin.  I was trying to not play any 1 toughness guys (besides Triplicate Spirit tokens) to avoid Forge Devil blowouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment