Friday, August 15, 2014

8/15/14 Sleep is for the weak (Modern FNM 4-0)

I went to the store to play Modern tonight, instead of going to bed earlier.

This is the decklist I played:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7905&d=245457&f=MO

I had not played Junk before but was interested in playing a deck that was not Splinter Twin.  I didn't have Melira Pod finished since I needed to get two more Noble Hierarch and a Linvala.  

Match 1:  GW Heroic 2-0

Game 1:

She gets a Bow of Nylea in play third turn, but it doesn't matter,  I end up removing all her creatures with Abrupt Decay or Maelstrom Pulse.  She gets an Ajani, Caller of the Pride out, but I kill it with Tarmogoyf and a Spirit token.  She plays Fleecemane Lion into Forced Adapation, and I kill the Fleecemane Lion with Abrupt Decay.

Game 2:

I pick away Ajani, Caller of the Pride with Thoughtseize.  She plays Fleecemane Lion into Forced Adaptation, and I kill the Fleecemane Lion with Abrupt Decay.  She ends up getting stuck on three mana and I kill her with Tarmogoyf.

Match 2:  Mono-black Vampire 2-0

Game 1:

He played a Kalastria Blood Witch and Vampire Nocturnus.  I had to kill the Blood Witch with Dismember.  Next turn I Abrupt Decay'd his Tormented Soul, then played Liliana of the Veil and made him sacrifice a creature.  Once he was down to topdecks, I dragged out a win.

Game 2:

I get a 2 for 1 off Maelstrom Pulse, killing two Guul Draz Vampires.

Got down to 3 life, but I managed to resolve Scavenging Ooze and gain a bunch of life.

Match 3:  Burn 2-0

Game 1:

 He gets me down to 12 life burning me.

He plays a Reforge the Soul, and I discard two Dark Confidant.  Of course I draw another Dark Confidant and a Thoughtseize and some lands. He has me near dead playing two Vexing Devil and a Chandra's Pheonix.  I have two Tarmogoyfs and a Stirring Wildwood in play.  I Abrupt Decay one Vexing Devil and attack.  He decides to double block my

Game 2:

I get a 2 for 1 off Maelstrom Pulse, killing two Satyr Firedancer.

I end up getting down to 5 life, but Scavenging Ooze brings me back.  I mess up by activating Ooze twice and he responds with Searing Blood, forcing me to pop my Verdant Catacombs to get a basic forest instead of getting a Temple Garden which would have let me play the Timely Reinforcements in my hand.   If I had put the Temple Garden into play untapped he could have responded with Lightning Bolt to kill me.  It ends up not mattering because he never draws any more burn, and I stay in the game with 8 life.

Match 4:  UR Guttersnipe 2-0

Game 1:

I Abrupt Decay'd his Guttersnipe.   He Mizzium Mortar'd my first Scavenging Ooze, but then I play a second Ooze.  Then I get some Tarmogoyf actinon going.

Resolved Liliana of the Veil too stronk.

Game 2:

Turn 2 Thoughtseize, I took away his Rune Snag.  Left him with Guttersnipe and Cryptic Command.  Tectonic Edge and Fulminator Mage keep him off four mana.

Resolved Liliana of the Veil too stronk.

Result:  4-0 in matches, 8-0 in games.  12 booster packs, Bile Blight promo, and a WPN event reporter advertisement card.  I give the advertisement card to someone who asks for it.  *shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment