Saturday, August 23, 2014

8/22/14 It burns! (FNM M15 draft 2-1)

Went to Gamescape North to draft tonight.  They had 56 people to draft.  The draft didn't start until 6:35 p.m.

P1P1:  Hoarding Dragon

Got a third pick Triplicate Spirits, never got any more

P2P1:  Burning Anger

P3P1:  Passed Chasm Skulker, and took a 2nd Raise the Alarm  Got rewarded with a 2nd pick Burning Anger.

DECK:
White:
1 Selfless Cathar
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Midnight Guard
1 Geist of the Moors
1 Razorfoot Griffin
1 Boonweaver Giant
-----
1 Ephemeral Shields
2 Raise the Alarm
1 Triplicate Spirits

Red:
1 Torch Fiend
1 Goblin Roughrider
1 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Paragon of Fierce Defiance
1 Brood Keeper
1 Thundering Giant
1 Hoarding Dragon
-----
2 Inferno Fist
2 Burning Anger
1 Heat Ray

Artifact: 
1 Sacred Armory

SIDEBOARD:

White:
1 Dauntless River Marshal
1 Midnight Guard
-----
1 Solemn Offering
1 Marked by Honor

Blue:
1 Illusory Angel
1 Jalira, Master Polymorphist
1 Nimbus of the Isles
-----
1 Peel from Reality

Black:
1 Child of Night
-----
1 Festergloom
1 Unmake the Graves

Red:
2 Frenzied Goblin
1 Torch Fiend
1 Miner's Bane
-----
1 Crowd's Favor

Green:
1 Ancient Silverback
-----
1 Naturalize

Artifact:
1 Staff of the Death Magus

Match 1:   RW 1-2

This was the guy I lost against in the prerelease because of Spectra Ward, and because he "killed' me when I was at 1 life.  

Game 1:

He played turn 3 Rabblemaster.  I was able to kill it with Inferno Fist.  Then he played Generator Servant->Scuttling Doom Engine.  I double blocked it and took 6 damage.  Then he played Spectra Ward.

Game 2:

This was a grindy game, where he played Rabblemaster and Doom Engine AGAIN, but he traded his Rabblemaster for 2 of my creatures,, and I cast Solemn Offering on the Doom Engine.  I eventually won off of Hoarding Dragon into Burning Anger.

Game 3:

My opponent plays turn 3 Rabblemaster AGAIN but I kill it with Heat Ray.

I decided to play Midnight Guard instead of Paragon of Fierce Defiance or Brood Keeper.  My opponent punished me by playing Generator Servant into Scuttling Doom Engine.  The game goes into extra turns, then he topdecks Spectra Ward on turn 4 to kill me.  So lucky.  

Match 2:  UB 2-0

Game 1:

Early aggression with Torch Fiend into Goblin Roughrider into Marked by Honor on my Goblin Roughrider Paragon of Fierce Defiance.  He sort of stabilizes with Frost Lynx into Encrust on my Goblin Roughrider, into Jorubai Murk Lurker. But I win off Raise the Alarm and swing for lethal while he was tapped out.

Game 2:

I almost have my opponent dead with Hoarding Dragon and Paragon of Fierce Defiance and Triplicate Spirits tokens, but my opponent stabilizes with Encrust on my Hoarding Dragon, and Jorubai Murk Lurker to gain a bunch of life off his Chasm Skulker.  Then he plays a Scuttling Doom Engine (jeez) and goes up to 21 life because of the Lurker.

I manage to kill him in turn 4 of extra turns thanks to Burning Anger.

Match 3:  WG 2-0

Game 1:

ON THE PLAY, my opponent plays turn 1 Elvish Mystic, turn 2 Sunblade Elf, into turn 3 Paragon of Eternal Wilds.  I eventually kill the Paragon and the Sunblade Elf with Inferno Fists.  Then the game gets super grindy with my opponent playing Wall of Mulch and Wall of Essence and a bunch of lifegain, culminating in gaining 22 life from Congregate (because I had two Raise the Alarm and one Triplicate Spirits tokens in play).

I eventually kill him, despite him Pillar of Light'ing my Boonweaver Giant enchanted with Burning Anger.  He plays a Phytotitan but it doesn't matter now, since I am attacking for 11 in the air with my fliers (Hoarding Dragon, Geist of the Moors, 3 Spirit tokens).

Game 2:

I play turn 1 Selfless Cathar into turn 2 Inferno Fist, bashing for 3.  Then he plays turn 3 Wall of Essence.  I play my Midnight Guard.  Then next turn I play a Sacred Armory, and an Oreskos Swiftclaw.  I make a lrge Midnight Guard with Inferno Fist and Burning Anger, and he plays Oppresive Rays on my Guard.  The game gets super grindy at this point, with my opponent playing Shaman of Spring into Divine Favor.  Then he starts playing stuff like Phytotitan and Kalonian Twingrove.  I end up burning through his creatures, and finally kill him with Burning Anger.  Geez.

Result:  2-1 in matches, 5-1 in games.  2 booster packs.  

I probably missed like 10 Midnight Guard triggers off my opponent's creatures in game 2.

Midnight Guard + Burning Anger or Sacred Armory + Burning Anger is a good combo.


No comments:

Post a Comment