Saturday, August 2, 2014

8/2/14 The heater is real (M15 drafts, 3-0, 3-0)

I went to Versus Games to draft.  I figured with most people going to Channel Fireball for the Modern States Championship that it meant the competition would be weaker.

Opened Polymorphist's Jest, Illusory Angel, and Turn to Frog.  The only other card I would have taken was Flesh to Dust.  I took Polymorphist's Jest, promptly got punished by not getting any other good blue cards.

I quickly moved to black/red.

Second pack I got Hoarding Dragon.  I passed an Ulcerate for Necrogen Scudder.  Probably wrong.

I value drafted a Llanowar Wastes in pack 3, since I needed one for my collection anyways, to finish my playset.

DECK:
Black:  13
3 Witch's Familiar
1 Xathrid Slyblade
1 Necrogen Scudder
1 Zof Shade
1 Accursed Spirit
1 Rotfeast Maggot
-----
1 Sign in Blood
1 Festergloom
1 Stab Wound
2 Covenant of Blood

Red:  8
1 Rummaging Goblin
2 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Kird Chieftain
1 Hoarding Dragon
-----
1 Inferno Fist
2 Cone of Flame

Artifact:
1 Rogue's Gloves

Lands:
8 Swamp
8 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Llanowar Wastes

SIDEBOARD:
White:
1 Sanctified Charge

Blue:
1 Research Assistant
1 Nimbus of the Isle
-----
1 Negate
1 Polymorphist's Jest
1 Chronostutter

Black:
1 Wall of Limbs
-----
1 Necrobite

Red:
2 Wall of Fire
-----
1 Clear a Path
1 Hammerhand
2 Blastfire Bolt

Green:
1 Back to Nature

Artifact:
1 Tyrant's Machine
1 Staff of the Flame Magus

Land:
1 Radiant Fountain

Match 1:  WB (2-1)

Game 1:

He apparently missed one of my attacks for 2 damage, and said his life total was 2 higher than it actually was.  It ultimately ended up not mattering, because he had no answer for my Krenko's Enforcer.

Game 2:

Lost this game due to not doing math.  I played Sign in Blood on myself, discarded mountain.  Then my opponent Mind Rotted me, I discarded two more mountains.  Unfortunately, I only had one mountain in play, then proceeded to drew two Krenko's Enforcers and a Cone of Flame.  If I had been able to cast Cone of Flame the game would have actually been in my favor, but I died.

Game 3:

My opponent kept 3 lands 3 five drops.  All he played was Hot Soup and Sacred Armory then promptly died.

Match 2:   GW (2-0)

Game 1:

He got me to 2 life with Sanctified Charge, but then I killed him with my 4/2 Krenko's Enforcer with Inferno Fist, and sacrificed the fist for lethal.

Game 2:

I had to use a Cone of Flame to kill 3 Spirit tokens.  Meh.

I got out Accursed Spirit + Kird Chieftain.  He played a bunch of blockers with Siege Wurm and Triplicate Spirits, but he could not kill either creature, so I finished him off with a 5/2 trample intimidate.  The value.

Match 3:  UW (2-1)

Game 1:

Opponent curved out into Dauntless River Marshal into Geist of the Moors into Paragon of New Dawns into  Triplicate Spirits into Scuttling Doom Engine.

Game 2:

Opponent got stuck on blue mana, then died.

Game 3:

I got stuck on mana, had to discard Covenant of Blood.  He played a turn 3 Aeronaut Tinkerer, I drew my third land, played a Stab Wound on his 2/3.  Then I drew another land, next turn, played Accursed Spirit.  He died to Stab Wound + Accursed Spirit + Inferno Fist.

Result:  3-0, 4 packs

This draft, I opened Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Necrogen Scudder, Gravedigger, Stab Wound, and Flesh to Dust.  I picked Lightning Strike.  Then the person next to me passed me a pack with Indulgent Tormentor and Triplicate Spirits.  In a moment of weakness, I took Indulgent Tormentor.  Ended up getting cut out of black anyways before cards were wheeling, so I shifted in blue when I got a 6th pick Into the Void.

2nd pack I took a Hornet Queen, since I wasn't really locked into any colors except blue.  I ended up drafting Stoke the Flames over Ancient Silverblack, then locked myself into red.

3rd pack I don't remember the rare.

DECK:
Blue:  10
1 Research Assistant
2 Aeronaut Tinkerer
1 Amphin Pathmage
1 Nimbus of the Isles
1 Glacial Crasher
1 Stormtide Leviathan
------
1 Peel from Reality
1 Encrust
1 Into the Void

Red:  8
1 Borderland Marauder
1 Generator Servant
1 Goblin Kaboomist
1 Rummaging Goblin
1 Krenko's Enforcer
-----
1 Lightning Strike
1 Inferno Fist
1 Stoke the Flames

Artifact:  3
1 Bronze Sable
1 Gargoyle Sentinel
-----
1 Shield of the Avatar

LANDS:
9 Island
8 Mountain

SIDEBOARD:
White:
1 Pillar of Light

Blue:
1 Coral Barrier
1 Jorubai Murk Lurker
1 Glacial Crasher
-----
1 Military Intelligence
1 Invisibility
1 Encrust
1 Statute of Denial

Black:
1 Rotfeaster Maggot
1 Indulgent Tormentor
-----
1 Flesh to Dust
1 Endless Obedience

Green:
1 Sunblade Elf
1 Satyr Wayfinder
1 Hornet Queen
-----
1 Naturalize

Artifact:
1 Staff of the Mind Magus

Lands:
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Radiant Fountain

Match 4:  UR (2-0)

Game 1:

Ground him out of the game with flying Aeronaut Tinkerers.

Game 2:

Ground him out of the game with flying Aeronaut Tinkerers again,

Match 5:  GW (2-0)

Game 1:

He seemed a bit color screwed on mana,

Game 2:

I used Generator Servant into Stormtide Leviathan.  Unfortunately I forgot that Stormtide Leviathan makes all lands into islands and that it has islandwalk, so I skipped attacking with it.  It ultimately didn't matter since my opponent couldn't draw an answer to Stormtide Leviathan.

Match 6:  GW (2-1)

Game 1:

Lost to Sanctified Charge.

Game 2:

I had turn 2 Borderland Marauder.  He had turn 2 Ajani's Pridemate.  I attacked with the Marauder, he blocked, and I had to use my Lightning Strike post-blocks to kill his Pridemate, since I didn't have any other gas in hand.

Game 3:

He got stuck on two forests/one plains.

I assembled turn 4 Generator Servant into turn 5 Nimbus of the Isles into turn 6 hasted Glacial Crasher.  I then cast Into the Void on his Soulmender + Ajani's Pridemate.   Then he conceded.

Result:  3-0, 4 packs

No comments:

Post a Comment