Saturday, August 9, 2014

8/9/14 Why do I do this to myself? (M15 Game Day 0-2 drop, M15 draft 2-1)

I went to bed around 1:30 am last night.  Stupid Bravely Default being insanely addictive.  I woke up twice during the night.  I decided to take BW midrange/control to Game Day M15, even though it was disappointing during Game Day Journey to Nyx.  I wake up late, and don't even have time to eat much food before the tournament.

Match 1:  RDW (1-2)

Played against the store employee.

Game 1:

Kept a hand of 4 lands, Underworld Connections, Desecration Demon, Blood Baron of Vizkopa.  Died to 2/2's with multiple pump spells.

Game 2:

Played a few removal spells, opponent got flooded.

Game 3:

Kept a 2 land hand with 3 two mana removal spells, 2 Blood Baron.   Died to Firefist Striker + two pump spells.  Great.

Match 2:  Brave Naya (1-2)

Played against a Magic Online grinder.

Game 1:

Won off turn 2 Pack Rat.

Game 2:

Opponent kills me with topdeck Ajani, Caller of the Pride.

Game 3:

Opponent plays Ajani, Caller of the Pride again, and I have no way to kill it in hand.

Result:   Dejectedly, I drop from the tournament at 0-2, and go home to get lunch.  I sign up for an M15 draft at Versus Games.

The Versus Games draft is stuck at 5 people for a while.  Which is worrisome since it was a 30 minute drive to Versus Games.  I consider going to Anime Imports to draft but I don't really want to drive 20 minutes to Pacifica right now.   Anyways, it ends up filling up around 4:30 p.m.

P1P1:  I took Kalonian Twingrove into a pack with Flesh to Dust, Netcaster Spider, and Welkin Tern.

I end up not getting much green in this pack. Abandon SHIP.

P2P1:  I took Stoke the Flames over Yavimaya Coast.

I passed Roaring Primadox, missing out on possible Roaring Primadox + Frost Lynx value.

P3P1:  I took Heat Ray over Indulgent Tormentor.

I passed two Ancient Silverback in this pack.  Eww.

I passed took first Krenko's Enforcer over second Quickling.

DECK:

Blue:
1 Research Assistant
1 Welkin Tern
1 Quickling
1 Aeronaut Tinkerer
2 Frost Lynx
1 Coral Barrier
1 Amphin Pathmage
1 Nimbus of the Isles
1 Glacial Crasher
2 Kapsho Kitefins
-----
1 Void Snare
1 Turn to Frog
1 Divination
1 Encrust

Red:
1 Forge Devil
1 Rummaging Goblin
1 Scrapyard Mongrel
----
1 Inferno Fist
1 Stoke the Flames
1 Blastfire Bolt
1 Heat Ray

Lands:
9 Island
8 Mountain

SIDEBOARD:

White:
1 Warden of the Beyond

Blue:
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Statue of Denial
1 Chronostutter

Black:
1 Rotfeast Maggot
-----
1 Unmake the Graves

Red:
1 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Generator Servant
1 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Miner's Bane
-----
2 Blastfire Bolt

Green:
1 Invasive Species
1 Living Totem
1 Kalonian Twingrove
1 Carnivorous Moss-Beast
1 Siege Wurm

Artifact:
1 Bronze Sable
----
1 Tyrant's Machine

Land:
1 Radiant Fountain

Match 1:  BG 2-0

Game 1:

Opponent plays a Stab Wound on my Scrapyard Mongrel, then deploys a Black Rat and Wall of Mulch.  It doesn't matter since I have 5 attacks anyways and Frost Lynx/Kapsho Kitefins to tap it down.

Game 2:

This game pretty much plays the same as the first one.

Match 2:   UW 2-0

Game 1:

My opponent plays an Ajani's Pridemate with Divine Favor.  Meet Void Snare.  Frost Lynx + Quickling gains VALUE.

Game 2:

My opponent plays an Oreskos Swiftclaw with Divine Favor.  Meet Chronostutter.

The turn before I swing for lethal with Generator Servant sacrifice into Kapsho Kitefins, my opponent plays Polymorphist's Jest BEFORE attacks.  If he played it after attacks he could have eaten two of my creatures. Anyways, he ends up losing to my topdeck Frost Lynx for DOUBLE TAP value (with Kapsho Kitefins trigger).

Match 3:  BR (1-2)

Game 1:

I beat my opponent by tempo'ing him out with Frost Lynx/Kapsho Kitefins.

Game 2:

Mind Rot wrecks me, as I had the kill next turn with sacrifice Inferno Fist into Stoke the Flames.  Then my opponent top decks Covenant of Blood two turns later to gain life and eventually gains card quality advantage with Rummaging Goblin.

Game 3:

Long grindy game.  I encrust my opponent's Accursed Spirit, then Heat Ray the second one.   Cruel Sadist + Altac Bloodseeker wombo combo wrecks me though.

I end up not playing the Inferno Fist in my hand, wanting to play around Ulcerate and Heat Ray and Flesh to Dust.  I think I should have sided this out for Glacial Crasher.


No comments:

Post a Comment