Saturday, July 26, 2014

7/26/14 The Definition of Insanity (M15 drafts poop)

I went over to Versus Games today, and signed up for two drafts.  I figured that based on my previous M15 draft experiences, I should be good to go, right?  Also, most of the experienced players went over to Eudemonia for the PTQ.

P1P1 rare:  Lilliana Vess.  Hello nurse!
P2P1 rare:  Hoarding Dragon.  Picked Carrion Crow, which didn't even make the deck
P3P1 rare:  Shivan Reef.  Picked Child of Night I think.

I raredrafted a Waste Not for value.

Guy on my right was black/red.  Person on my left was green/blue, and went to the finals.

DECK:

Black:  14
1 Typhoid Rats
2 Child of Night
4 Accursed Spirit
1 Gravedigger
1 Shadowcloak Vampire
-----
1 Ulcerate
2 Flesh to Dust
1 Lilliana Vess
1 Covenant of Blood

Green:  6
1 Venom Sliver
1 Netcaster Spider
1 Invasive Species
1 Hornet Nest
------
1 Gather Courage
1 Hunt the Weak

Artifact:  3
1 Gargoyle Sentinel
1 Juggernaut
-----
1 Rogue's Gloves

Sideboard:
White:
1 Kinsbaile Skirmisher

Black:
1 Carrion Crow
2 Shadowcloak Vampire
-----
1 Crippling Blight
1 Waste Not
1 Sign in Blood
2 Unmake the Graves

Red:
1 Forge Devil
1 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Scrapyard Mongrel

Green:
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Plummet
1 Naturalize
1 Titanic Growth
1 Verdant Haven
1 Restock

Artifact:
1 Sacred Armory

I didn't pick up any Festergloom, which made me sad.

Match 1:  UW aggro (1-2)

This guy also ended up in the finals.

Game 1:

He durdled around with 2 Coral Barriers, then eventually cast a Triplicate Spirits.

I managed to grind him out of the game with Liliana Vess and timely use of my removal spells.   My opponent constantly complained about me playing Lilliana Vess and how broken planeswalkers in limited were.

Game 2:

Oreskos Swiftclaw got some early beats, then Ajani's Pridemate and Divine Favor gave me headaches.  I drew 12 of 17 of my lands this game.

Game 3:

He got turn 2 Military Intelligence into turn 4 Triplicate Spirits.  Things went downhill from there.  I forgot to sideboard in Naturalize, despite seeing Divine Favor, Military Intelligence, and Marked by Honor the previous game.

Match 2:  UW aggro (0-2)

Game 1:

Got stuck on 3 lands, died to turn 2 Dauntless River Marshal + Frost Lynx + Welkin Tern + Sanctified Charge.

Game 2:

Got stuck on the backfoot again to his blue white aggro draw with Midnight Guard + Aeronaut Tinkerer + Welkin Tern.  Netcaster Spider was nowhere to be found, neither Crippling Blight.  A Frost Lynx sealed the deal.

I also punted by not boarding in Plummet into these matches.  My opponent this round was a douche anyways, because he kept arguing with me about life totals.   Whatever.

Match 3:

Game 1:

Opponent plays turn 1 Typhoid Rats into turn 2 Eternal Thirst.

Opponent got me down to 5 life with double Lava Axe plus some critter attacks, but I stabilized.

Game 2:

Opponent acted kinda superior because he had turn 1 Frenzied Goblin into turn 2 Eternal Thirst into turn 3 Feast on the Fallen.  I still crushed him.

New draft.   This drafted started 25 minutes late because three of the people from the 1 pm draft were signed up for it (including me).  Why did I sign up for a second draft?

P1P1 rare:  Spirit Bonds.
P1P2 rare:  In Garruk's Wake.  I took Gather Courage (I think over Raise the Alarm, which was wrong)
P1P3 rare:  Haunted Platemail over Geist of the Moors.

I got a pick 4 Triplicate Spirits in pack 1.   This is weird because apparently the guy on my right was mono white.  The person on my left was black/green.

I was kinda dipping into black first pack, but ended up continuing to force white after picking up a second Triplicate Spirits in pack 2.

There was no reason for me to draft either of the Paragons of the Eternal Wilds.  I ended up with like 4 green creatures.

Constricting Sliver WHEELED in pack 3.

DECK:
White:  14
2 Selfless Cathar
1 Oreskos Sunclaw
1 Midnight Guard
2 Razorfoot Griffin
1 Paragon of the New Dawns
1 Constricting Sliver
1 Seraph of the Masses
------
1 Spirit Bonds
1 Marked by Honor
3 Triplicate Spirits

Green:  7
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Sunblade Elf
1 Runeclaw Bear
1 Siege Wurm
-----
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Gather Courage
1 Titanic Growth

Artifact:  2
1 Haunted Platemail
1 Obelisk of Urd

Sideboard:

Black:
1 Accursed Spirit
1 Shadowcloak Vampire
-----
1 Crippling Blught
1 Mind Rot
1 Endless Obedience
1 Covenant of Blood

Blue:
1 Amphin Pathmage
1 Glacial Crasher
-----
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Negate
1 Encrust

Green:
2 Paragon of Eternal Wilds
-----
1 Naturalize
1 Hunter's Ambush

Artifact:
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Staff of the Flame Magus

Lands:
2 Radiant Fountain

Match 4:    UB (0-2)

Game 1:

Mull to 6, lost to Accursed Spirit which I had no way to interact with.

Game 2:

Mull to 4, lost to Welkin Tern plus double Kapsho Kitefins

He said good game afterwards, but it wasn't really, said I had to mull to 4.  His heart was in the right place, I guess.

Match 5:  RG (1-1)

Game 1:

Opponent got me down to 5 life with Kird Chieftain and Scrapyard Mongrel, but I managed to stabilize thanks to Spirit Bonds.  Card is so good.

Game 2:

Ended up barely losing this game, due to a 4/6 Scrapyard Mongrel, then my opponent topdecking Sungrace Pegasus and Juggernaut.

Game 3:

This game went to turns.  My opponent got me down to 3 life with Juggernaut + Scrapyard Mongrel, but I eventually managed to block down them and they were dead.   I should have just conceded, since a draw would likely put us both out of contention for prizes.  Unfortunately, the store employee was right there, so it would have seemed weird to concede on my turn 5.

Match 6: bye

Result:  1-3-1, (technically 2-3-1, but I got a 3rd round bye, so I don't count that)

No comments:

Post a Comment