Sunday, July 20, 2014

7/20/14 Hunka burning love (M15 draft, 3-0)

I headed over to Versus Games for more practice with M15.

I had signed up for the 1 pm draft at 9:30 a.m.  Then at 10:30 a.m. I signed up for the 4 pm draft.

When I got to the store, I was wondering why they only asked me for 11 dollars, instead of asking for 22 dollars (to cover both drafts).  I figured they didn't collect the money because they thought the 4 pm draft wasn't going to fill.   I sit down at the table.

P1P1:  I take Spectra Ward.

P1P2:  Brood Keeper, even though this was super speculative. There was nothing good in white I wanted to take.

P1P3:  I take Burning Anger.  Somehow I get Burning Anger 3rd pick pack 1, yet the person on my right is in red.  What?  Do people not value this card?

P2P1:  Opened Stormtide Leviathan.  I took Ephemeral Shields.  Bleh.

P3P1:  Opened Soul of Innistrad.  Took Devouring Light over Inferno Fist.

P3P2:  Reward, got passed Avacyn.  Unfortunately I had to pass another Devouring Light and another Krenko's Enforcer.

I passed a second Ephemeral Shields for Altac Bloodseeker.  Probably wrong since Ephmeral Shields would have been nice to protect my creatures with auras.

Lots of black was going around in pack 1 and 3.  It turned out only 2 people were in black.

Guy on my left was white/green.
Guy on my right was red/blue.

DECK:

White:
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
2 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Avacyn, Guardian Angel
-----
1 Ephmeral Shields
1 Devouring Light
1 Marked by Honor
1 Spectra Ward
1 Triplicate Spirits

Red:
1 Borderland Marauder
1 Generator Servant
1 Altac Bloodseeker
2 Goblin Roughrider
1 Belligerent Sliver
3 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Brood Keeper
-----
1 Hammerhand
1 Burning Anger

Artifact:
1 Gargoyle Sentinel
-----
1 Rogue's Gloves

SIDEBOARD:
White:
1 Selfless Cathar
-----
1 Divine Favor
1 First Response
1 Meditation Puzzle

Blue:
1 Nimbus of the Isles
-----
1 Invisibility
1 Statute of Denial

Black:
1 Necrobite
2 Covenant of Blood

Red:
2 Forge Devil
-----
1 Lava Axe
1 Might Makes Right

Green:
1 Venom Sliver
1 Charging Rhino

Artifact:
1 Bronze Sable
1 Will-Forged Golem
1 Brawler's Plate

Match 1:  BUG (2-0)

Game 1:

I win the roll.

I end up mulling to 5.  He gets a turn 2 Feast on the Fallen, into turn 4 Blood Host with Hot Soup.  So we end up racing, but I manage to win the race, just barely.   He gets Nissa online as well but my intimidate creatures don't care about a forest.

Game 2:

We both mull to 5.

My opponent opens up with turn 1 Profane Memento, turn 2 Mind Sculpt, gaining 2 life because he milled two creatures.  However, he has problems finding black mana until the last turn or so.

I win off Hammerhand on Avacyn, make his Child of Night unable to block, swing with all my guys for lethal.

Match 2:  GR (2-0)

Game 1:

I win the roll.

My opponent keeps 7, but apparently only plays forests for the first 5 turns.

He kills my Rogue's Gloves with a maindeck Naturalize.

He surprises me when he plays Lightning Strike off a Verdant Haven, and then a Kird Chieftain.  However, I resolve a Spectra Ward, and just grind him out of the game.

Game 2:

This game was pretty close, my opponent gets Shield of the Avatar turn 1, and Yisan, Wandering Bard on turn 3.   He also plays a Staff of the Wild Magus I don't have any artifact destruction in my pool.   He gets Elvish Mystic, Generator Servant, Reclamation Sage, and Scrapyard Mongrel off his Yisan.

He tutors up Reclamation Sage to kill my Spectra Ward.   I'm pinging him down slowly with a Heliod's Pilgrim enchanted with Marked by Honor and Burning Anger.    I have him down to 3, I ping him after I untap. he plays Titanic Growth to gain 1 life.  So he's at 1 life.  I'm at 13 life now.

He untaps, swings with his team (Reclamation Sage, Yisan, Elvish Mystic, Scrapyard Mongrel that's a 5/3), I block to try and not die, then he Lightning Strikes my Gargoyle Sentinel that was blocking his Scrapyard Mongrel, then Titanic Growth's to push through more damage.  I play Ephemeral Shields on my Gargoyle Sentinel, but since his creature had trample, it should have actually trampled 3 extra damage over to me, since it was an indestructible guy with 3 damage marked already.   I thought I only took 11 damage, but I actually took 14 damage.  Next time I see this guy I will have to apologize to him, and give him a pack to make up for the difference (or maybe two).

This game I  punted by taking two extra damage from Reclamation Sage when he attacked me, and I didn't block, even though I think I could have done that safely with Ephmeral Shields back up.   Also I think I should have pinged his Scrapyard Mongrel with the Heliod's Pilgrim instead of trying to race a 5/3 trample (even though I was at 18 life when he was at 9 life).

Match 3:  BW (2-1)

Game 1:

My opponent wins the roll. My opponent's deck is pretty nuts, with Haunted Platemail, Avacyn, Indulgent Tormentor, Soul of Innistrad (though he didn't draw the Soul).

I get a Krenko's Enforcer with Rogue's Gloves.  My opponent gets a turn 4 Haunted Platemail.

Game 2:

He's got early aggression with Oreskos Swiftclaw and Child of Night, plus Crippling Blight for my Borderland Marauder.

He's got a Gravedigger + Endless Obedience on Gravedigger thing going on.   The VALUE.

I had Devouring Light for his Avacyn.

I use Burning Anger on my Brood Keeper, then ping his 3/1 flyer with the Brood Keeper.  I mistap my mana so I have a white open instead of red, so I can't use the firebreath on my Dragon token.  (bleh).

However, I misplayed. I chump blocked his Juggernaut, but let his Swiftclaw go through, taking me to 2 life.  Then he plays Sanctified Charge.  I didn't need to let myself go to 2 life.  I should have just blocked the Swiftclaw with my dragon token, or not attacked with both of Krenko's enforcers, and used a Krenko's Enforcer to block the Swiftclaw.

Game 3:

I boarded out one Goblin Roughrider for Forge Devil.  I technically should have boarded then both out for Forge Devil since Goblin Roughrider doesn't match up well with with the 2/1's and 3/1's he's showed me.

This game was really close.

I have Avacyn in play, and a Gargoyle Sentinel enchanted with Mark of Honor.  He's at 10 life and has a Juggernaut (tapped) and an Indulgent Tormentor in play.  I swing with both, he blocks Avacyn with the Indulgent Tormentor, and goes to 5 life.  Then he has Flesh to Dust for my Gargoyle Sentinel.  I swing him down to 3 life with a Krenko's Enforcer.  He taps all but one black mana for another creature that wasn't an artifact (I forgot what it was).

Next turn I topdeck Heliod's Pilgrim, search for Spectra Ward, play it on Krenko's Enforcer.  He doesn't have Ulcerate, and he scoops.

He was a bit tilty since he apparently had Avacyn and Soul of Innistrad in his hand.  He didn't have a 3rd plains for Avacyn or a

Result:  3-0 (6-1 in games), 4 packs

Unfortunately, it actually just turned out they missed my signup for the 4 pm draft.  When I asked about drafting at 4 pm the employee said the store was full and that they would not start another draft because the store was closing at 7 pm.  So that was the end of my draft day.

In the end I was okay with that because I was super tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment