Saturday, July 12, 2014

7/12/14 I can't believe I lost a game because of counting (Sealed M15 prerelease sealed 3-1)

I went to the M15 Prerelease at Gamescape North today.

I went to bed around midnight last night, woke up around 3 am.  Fell asleep around 4 am, woke up again three more times.  I blame it on drinking four Lucky Buddha last night (I needed something to make myself feel better after going 0-3 at Anime Imports).  But I definitely wasn't in my right mind during the tournament.

I picked Black.  Seeded Rare was In Garruk's Wake (eww)

RARES:
In Garruk's Wake
Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
Yisan, Wanderer Bard
Genesis Hydra
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Shivan Reef

POOL:
Black
1 Black Cat
1 Child of Night
1 Witch's Familiar
2 Necrogen Scudder
1 Zof Shade
1 Paragon of Eternal Graves
2 Rotfeaster Maggot
1 Blood Host
1 Indulgent Tormentor
1 Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
-----
1 Crippling Blight
1 Sign in Blood
2 Eternal Thirst
1 Festergloom
1 Mind Rot
2 Flesh to Dust
1 Covenant of Blood
1 In Garruk's Wake

Blue
1 Fugitive Wizard
1 Wall of Frost
1 Coral Barrier
1 Amphin Pathmage
2 Glacial Crasher
-----
2 Void Snare
1 Invisibility
1 Divination
1 Encrust
2 Chronostutter

Green
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Venom Sliver
2 Netcaster Spider
1 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
1 Undergrowth Scavenger
1 Paragon of Eternal Wilds
1 Carnivorous Moss-Beast
1 Ancient Silverback
1 Siege Wurm
1 Genesis Hydra
-----
1 Vineweft
1 Gather Courage
1 Plummet
1 Hunter's Ambush
1 Verdant Haven

Red
2 Borderland Marauder
1 Rummaging Goblin
1 Belligerent Sliver
1 Wall of Fire
1 Scrapyard Mongrel
1 Thundering Giant
-----
1 Clear a Path
2 Inferno Fist
1 Circle of Flame
1 Act of Impulse

White
1 Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Ajani's Pridemate
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Geist of the Moors
1 Tireless Missionaries
-----
1 Divine Favor
1 Raise the Alarm
1 Devouring Light
1 Solemn Offering
1 First Response
1 Sanctified Charge
1 Triplicate Spirits

Artifact
1 Sacred Armory
1 Staff of the Death Magus
1 Meteorite
2 Will-Forged Golem

Lands
1 Plains (foil)
1 Radiant Fountain
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Shivan Reef
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

DECK:
Green
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Venom Sliver
2 Netcaster Spider
1 Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
1 Paragon of Eternal Wilds
1 Ancient Silverback
1 Siege Wurm
1 Genesis Hydra
-----
1 Gather Courage

Black
1 Black Cat
1 Witch's Familiar
2 Necrogen Scudder
1 Paragon of Eternal Graves
1 Indulgent Tormentor
1 Ob Nixilis, Unshackled
-----
1 Sign in Blood
1 Festergloom
2 Flesh to Dust
1 Covenant of Blood

Lands
9 Swamp
8 Forest
1 Urborg. Tomb of Yawgmoth

Match 1:  UB (2-0)

Game 1:

My opponent bounces my Necrogen Scudder with Void Snare (ouch).  However, he seems to have a problem playing anything else super good.

Game 2:

This is a grindy match where my opponent gets out Indulgent Tormentor.  But I have Ob Nixilis (which gets up to 11/11 because of all the trades), my own Indulgent Tormentor and Ancient Silverback.  My opponent plays Soul of Ravnica.

I sacrifice my Black Cat to his Indulgent Tormentor, making him discard Carrion Crow.  Then I attack with my Ob and Silverback, and slowly Abyss him.   Eventually he gives up, even though he's not actually dead on board.

Match 2:  BG (2-1)

Game 1:

My opponent's got turn 1 Cruel Sadist.  I have to pop off Flesh to Dust to kill it.

Promptly lose to Nissa, Worldwaker, and Indulgent Tormentor.

Game 2:

I have Plummet for my opponent's turn 5 Indulgent Tormentor, and Flesh to Dust for his Cruel Sadist.   Ob Nixilis and my own Indulgent Tormentor spells doom for my opponent.

Game 3:

Turn 1 Elvish Mystic into turn 2 Yisan = boyksValue.  I manage to tutor up Venom Sliver and Necrogen Scudder with the Yisan.  Then I let Ancient Silverback/Siege Wurm take the game over.

Match 3:  WU (0-2)

Game 1:

My opponent puts Spectra Ward on a Frost Lynx.  I have no way to deal with this.  GG.

Game 2:

My opponent plays a turn 3 Chasm Skulker.  Fortunately, I am able to kill it with Flesh to Dust when it only has 1 counter on it.

I decide to try and race my opponent.

I'm at 7 life, my opponent is at 11.   I have Ob Nixilis, Genesis Hydra, and Hunter's Ambush in hand.

I swing for 5 with my Necrogen Scudder/Netcaster Spider, then play a Genesis Hydra for 5.  I promptly reveal:  Ob Nixilis, 3 lands, Flesh to Dust.  What a miss.  Then my opponent responds with Pillar of Light on my Genesis Hydra.

He suits up his Welkin Tern with Marked by Honor, and swings with the Tern and 2 tokens.  He says GG and I scoop, even though I was actually at 7 life.  I could have played Indulgent Torment next turn, and held my Netcaster Spider and Necrogen Scudder back, meaning I wasn't actually dead.  But I played the game pretty poorly regardless, and deserved to lose.

There was a turn earlier where I decided to play Sign in Blood on myself, drawing Genesis Hydra and Indulgent Tormentor, and had 4 mana open.  I could have played Hunter's Ambush then to prevent 4 damage from his Tern and 2 Soldier Tokens.  But I decided to hold out for some reason, when I knew I was going to be tapping out for Genesis Hydra next turn.

Match 4:  WG (2-0)

Game 1:

Opponent plays a Sunblade Elf with no plains.  I blow Festergloom to kill the Sunblade Elf  while it's a 1/1.

Then he doesn't seem to get stuck on 3 mana.   I end up killing him with double Necrogen Scudder and Ancient Silverback.

Game 2:

Opponent plays a Toxic Sliver and a Oreskos Swiftclaw, nothing else.  I remove both his creatures with Crippling Blight and a Festergloom.  Then I crush him with Ob Nixilis, Indulgent Tormentor, and Ancient Silverback.

Result:  3-1, 5 packs prize

I missed that Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth was a combo with Staff of the Death Magus.  However, I wasn't playing that many more black spells than green spells.

The super fast red/blue deck (double Goblin Rabblemaster, Goblin Kaboomist, double red Paragon, Soul of Ravnica) went 4-0, go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment