Friday, July 11, 2014

7/11/14 Getting dunked (Standard FNM 0-3)

They were playing Legacy at Gamescape North.  Since my Legacy deck isn't finished, I went to Anime Imports to play Standard.  That was a mistake.

Match 1:  Mono-white Nykthos control (0-2)

Game 1:

Spent all my removal spells, and lost to Elspeth + double Precinct Captain.  Hard to win grindy matches with no Underworld Connections.

Game 2:

I misboarded, thinking my opponent was playing some kind of aggro deck.   I decided to not board in Duress, even though I saw one Elspeth.  I should have boarded in Elspeth, and boarded out Desecration Demon, since Elspeth makes Desecration Demon terrible.

I had removals for his two Archangel of Thune and Boros Reckoner.  Unfortunately, he had Chained to the Rocks/Banishing Light for my Desecration Demons.

I promptly lost to Angel of Serenity into Aurelia, the Warleader.

After the game I heard my opponent telling his friend that I misplayed, which is true.

Match 2:  Mono black splashing red (1-2)

Game 1:

My opponent played double Desecration Demon, but I had double Hero's Downfall.

I won the game off turn 5 Pack Rat.

Game 2:

Kept a 7 card hand with 5 lands, Duress, Pack Rat.  My opponent Thoughtseized me, and took my Pack Rat.

Lost to turn 2 Pack Rat.

Game 3:

Lost to turn 2 Pack Rat, again.  Apparently I need to keep hands with Bile Blight in Mono-black Mirrors.

Match 3:  Mono-green devotion

Game 1:

Lost to Hydra Broodmaster.  I had Bile Blight for the Hydra tokens, but no way to actually kill the Broodmaster itself.  I lost because I played Nightveil Specter and Pack Rat, over Desecration Demon one turn.  Huge punt.

Game 2:

Mulled to 6, kept a one lander (scryland).

Lost to a 16/16 Kalonian Hydra, despite drawing 3 extra cards from Underworld Connections.

Maybe I need more practice with mono black.  I seem to keep spewing off Bile Blight for no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment