Tuesday, July 22, 2014

7/21/14 Izzet a dream or a nightmare (Monday night M15 draft 2-1)

I went to Versus Games to play in an M15 draft.

P1P1:  Hoarding Dragon

P2P1:  Shield of the Avatar

P3P1:  Waste Not (foil).  Supposedly this is worth 15 dollars, so sure.

Turns out the guy on my right was black/blue, yet he passed Ulcerate, and three Flesh to Dust pack 1.  He passed me Into the Void pick 3.  Huh?

In pack 2, I should have taken Welkin Tern over Paragon of the Eternal Winds.  I ended up not getting enough blue creatures to make the Paragon good.

In pack 3, I should have taken another Borderland Marauder over Frenzied Goblin.  Frenzied Goblin was pretty bad in my deck.

DECK:
Blue:
1 Wall of Frost
1 Nimbus of the Isles
1 Glacial Crasher
-----
1 Peel from Reality
1 Into the Void

Red:
1 Borderland Marauder
1 Generator Servant
1 Rummaging Goblin
1 Belligrent Sliver
2 Krenko's Enforcer
1 Scrapyard Mongrel
1 Kird Chieftain
1 Hoarding Dragon
-----
1 Crowd's Favor
1 Inferno Fist
4 Lightning Strike
1 Stoke the Flames
1 Blastfire Bolt

Artifact:
1 Shield of the Avatar

Lands:
8 Mountain
8 Island
1 Forest

Sideboard:
White:
1 Constricting Sliver
-----
1 Meditation Puzzle

Blue:
1 Fugitive Wizard
1 Research Assistant
1 Paragon of Gathering Mists
-----
1 Chronostutter

Black:
1 Necromancer's Assistant
-----
1 Waste Not

Red:
1 Forge Devil
1 Frenzied Goblin
-----
1 Clear a Path
1 Hammerhand

Green:
1 Elvish Mystic
2 Netcaster Spider
1 Undergrowth Scavenger
------
1 Naturalize

Artifact:
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Tyrant's Machine

Behold, the 12 creature Shield of the Avatar Deck.   This deck needed more Welkin Tern.  Maybe I should have not passed both Encrust that I saw, but I think Encrust is usually pretty bad.

Tyrant's Machine would have been ok with the Hoarding Dragon and the Scrapyard Mongrel.

Match 1:  UB (1-2)

Game 1:

He plays a turn 1 Hot Soup turn 3 Jorubai Murk Lurker and turn 4 Eternal Thirst.  He seems to think Eternal Thirst gives a +1/+1 as part of the enchantment, but I told him that was not the case.  It gives +1/+1 counters when an opponent's creature dies.  I end up killing the Murk Lurker with the Blastfire Bolt.

He had Encrust for my Kird Chieftain.  I have Nimbus of the Isles, which he kills with Flesh to Dust.  Then I follow up with Glacial Crasher which swings in for a bit.

He plays Illusory Angel but I have Into the Void for his Jorubai Murk Lurker and his Illusory Angel, and swing for the win with Glacial Crasher enchanted with Inferno Fist, then sac the Fist post combat for 9 total damage.

Game 2:

I kept a 6 lander, proceed to draw 6 more lands and 4 spells the entire game.

My opponent plays Hot Soup into Illusory Angel turn 4.  He then follows up with turn 5 Eternal Thirst.  Apparently he was holding up Necrobite the whole game.  Any kind of bounce spell would just wrecked him, but nope I don't draw that.  I draw a Blastfire Bolt which he Necrobites in response.  Whatever.

Game 3:

I end up losing to turn 3 Staff of the Mind Magus into turn 5 Ensoul Artifact and Illusory Angel.  Argh.  I have Blastfire Bolt, which I use to kill his Illusory Angel.  I don't want to block his Staff of the Mind Magus with Krenko's Enforcer + Scrapyard Mongel, because I just lose on the spot to Necrobite.   So I just end up losing to his topdeck Frost Lynx.   He didn't have the Necrobite after all.  I think I punted by letting him hit me for 7 damage a couple times, when I was only hitting for 5 damage.  I don't think I was in a racing situation at all.   I should have just went for the double block, but I was holding out for Into the Void or Peel from Reality.

My first round opponent ends up leaving before the third round starts.  Ugh.

Match 2:  WG (2-0)

Game 1:

He's all in on the Aura plan (Battle Mastery, Marked by Honor, and Vineweft).  I have Lightning Strike + Into the Void to punish him for doing that.  Krenko's Enforcer + Inferno Fist wins the game for me.

Game 2:

This game takes a bit longer, but it goes similarly to the first one.  He plays auras into open mana, I punish him for it.  Intimidate guys win the game for me, again.

Match 3:  BR (2-0)

This guy was on my left.

Game 1:

This was a tough game, where I had to burn down Nightfire Giant with double Lightning Strike.  We both have Rummaging Goblins, and we rummage a bunch of cards.   We trade a bunch of removal for creatures, but eventually my topdecks are slightly better.  I use Into the Void for the win, swinging with Rummaging Goblin and Borderland Marauder for the final 4 damage.

Game 2:

I Lightning Strike his Carrion Crow.  He kills my Rummaging Goblin with Ulcerate (aggressive).  He plays a Necrogen Scudder, I kill it with Lightning Bolt.  I killed his Nightfire Giant with Blastfire Bolt.

He had Unmake the Graves to bring back his Carrion Crow and Nightfire Giant (ugh).

Got to a tough board state, where he had Nightfire Giant, Carrion Crow, and Rotfeast Maggot in play.

I had Wall of Frost, Borderland Marauder, and Kird Chieftain (4/4 due to having a forest).  I had 9 untapped lands in play, and 1 card in hand.

I was at 5 life, he was 2.   He had 8 lands untapped.  I swung with both my Marauder and Chieftain, saying I was dead if I didn't swing. He uses Nightfire Giant on the Marauder pre-blocks, and I use Kird Chieftain to buff it.  He deliberates, and ends up blocking the Maggot on the Marauder (now a 5/4 with 2 damage on it) and the Giant on my Kird Chieftain.  They both trade (I reminded my opponent that the Marauder died).

If I was him, I would have blocked the Maggot on the Kird Chieftain, and the Giant on the Marauder.  That way if I wanted to save the Marauder I would have to pump with the Chieftain, then he could burn in response.  But I guess he was playing around Crowd's Favor (a common).   If I had the Crowd's Favor in hand, and he blocked the Maggot on Chieftain, and Giant on the Marauder, I could just pump the Kird Chieftain with the Crowd's Favor and its own ability to trample for 2 damage.

If he did that block and I didn't have Crowd's Favor, then I would only have Wall of Frost, and he would have Nightfire Giant, Rotfeaster Maggot, and Carrion Crow, swing at me for 5 damage (from the Maggot + Crows).  Plus he could also dome me for 2 more damage with the Giant on his turn.

Because of the way he blocked, I ended up going to 3 life, then I top decked Inferno Fist, which I put on my Wall of Frost and sacrificed.

No comments:

Post a Comment