Saturday, January 24, 2015

1/24/15 Channel Fireball team sealed practice, 3-1

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/2015-01-24-in-america/

Match 1:  Temur (2-0)

Game 1:

Basically ran over my opponent.  He played a 3/3 with Formless Nurturing, I killed it with Arc Lightning.  He played a 6/6 with Wildcall, I made it not able to block with Goblin Heelcutter.

Game 2:

This was pretty much the same thing, but my opponent played a few more creatures, which died to Mardu Heartpiercer + Arc Lightning.  Flying Crane Technique closed the game out.

Match 2:    Sultai  (2-0)

Game 1:

Guy played an Orc Sureshot.  I offed it with Mardu Heartpiercer.  Then he played a few creatures to stabilize. I finished him off with topdeck Crater's Claw.

Game 2:

This game got a bit more convoluted, with him playing a lot more creatures.  I noticed he tapped down to just 2 forests and no other lands, so I went for the Flying Crane Technique with 4 2 power guys and a 3 power guy.  Flying Crane Technique forced him into a situation where he had to block with his Sagu Archer to not die, and he got down to 2 life.  Then he scooped because I had two flyers with 2 power in play. 

Match 3:   Temur (1-1)

Game 1:

My opponent had TONS of tricks (Rite of Undoing, Whisk Away, Will of the Naga, and Icefeather Aven) and Avalanche Tusker.   I barely manage to win thanks to Whisk Away, and Aven Surveyor.

Game 2:

This game ended up not mattering, because my teammmates lost their matches.  But we ended up playing it out.  He had me on the backfoot with his aggression, but I managed to stabilize a bit.   I kill a morph with Crater's Claw, and it turns out to be Spellsnatcher (thankfully he only had 4 mana and couldn't flip it up). 

I try to go for lethal with Icy Blast, but then he has Will of the Naga to punish me, so I have to hold off my attack to not die.  He swings, and I end up going down to 1 life.  I end up Mindswiping my own spell to kill myself.

Match 4:  5 color ramp (2-0)

Game 1:

My opponent plays Map the Wastes x 2 making a 6/4 Alpine Grizzly, but doesn't attack me with it.  I guess he didn't want to trade his dude for two of my guys. 

Anyways, Kheru Lich Lord ends up gainining him a bunch of value.  I have to try and stall him until I can deal 21 damage in one turn with FCT.  I mess up by playing FCT before attacks.  I should have waited until after attacks, but before blocks, so that my dudes would untap so I wouldn't die if he had a removal spell.

I kinda punt when I cast Write into Being and manifest a Mardu Heartpiercer.  That doesn't make any sense, because the raid trigger from Mardu Heartpiercer only goes off if the Mardu Heartpiercer ETB.  Doh.  

Game 2:

This game ends up a lot of the same, with Alpine Grizzly and Kheru Lich Lord.  I have to use Flying Crane Technique defensively on my Shockmaw Dragon to not die to his attacking Mindscour Dragon.   My opponent gets me down to 3 life with a Scaldkin in play (jeez).   Then I start drawing straight gas, after my flood, and get 6 creatures into play.    

I assemble the combo of:

Jeskai Infiltrator
Goblin Heelcutter
Sage-Eye Avengers

My teammates won both their games, so the result of this match didn't matter, but I end up winning it anyways.

Lesson learned:  It's better to cast FCT AFTER declaring attacks, but before blocks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment