Monday, January 12, 2015

1/12/15 A bitter pill to swallow (Standard, 2-2)

I went to Versus Games to play tonight.  I had a cold and had to work to do at home, but toughed it out.

I played this list, which was kinda bad for the store meta, seeing so many UW heroic, Temur deck, and some people playing Esper control.
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8671&d=249574&f=ST

Match 1:  Temur (0-2)

Game 1:  

Turn 1 Stubborn Denial puts me on tilt.    I manage to get rid of Savage Knuckleblade after throwing Hero's Downfall, Abzan Charm, and Duneblast on it.   But it doesn't matter in the end, I lose to Ashcloud Phoenix.

Game 2:   

I lose to monstrous Stormbreath Dragon while I'm holding Utter End and Abzan Charm in hand.  

Match 2:   Temur (again) (2-1)

Game 1:

I concede to double Boon Satyr, Crater's Claw to kill my Siege Rhino + Ashcloud Phoenix.

Game 2:

My opponent goes for Crater's Claw on my Siege Rhino with X = 5 (thanks to Ferocious) even though he has 2 more mana open.  I respond with Abzan Charm, making it a 6/7.  He then doesn't attack with his Boon Satyr.    Bile Blight on the Satyr, then Sorin into attacking twice makes quick work of him.

Game 3:

I get behind in the game due to double Savage Knuckleblade.  Abzan Charm into an End Hostilities gets me back into the game, sort of.  

Win in extra turns thanks to Sorin Ultimate and Courser of Kruphix/Siege Rhino beatdown, while my opponent topdecks lands.

Match 3:    GR Monster (0-2)

Game 1:

I mull to , draw mono tap lands.  Goblin Rabblemaster token + Rattleclaw Mystic wear me down, and I lose to Crater's Claw.

Game 2:

I have Bile Blight for Rabblemaster this time.

I was at 11 life, with Siege Rhino and Sylvan Caryatid on board.  I let my opponent swing at me with Heir of the Wild (3 damage) and Stormbreath Dragon (4 damage) and he kills me with bestow Boon Satyr.  Agh.  

After this match, I got a SECOND lecture about putting backpacks on tables, despite the fact that I only had my backpack on the table for like a second before I remembered to put it on the floor. 

Match 4:  Bye

I got a bye, but my friend ended up going 3-1 split, so I still got to go home early.  Whew. 

Result:  2-2, and a bunch of bad feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment