Friday, January 23, 2015

1/22/15 The definition of insanity.. (Modern 2-1)

I went over to Versus Games for modern.   I was playing RUG Twin, with 4 Dig Through Time, 3 Thought Scour, and only 2 Splinter Twin.

Match 1:  Bogles

Game 1:

My opponent mulls to 5, and I kill his Kor Spiritdancer.  He fails to draw any other creatures to suit up.

Game 2:

Kept a hand with no disruption, managed to stabilize at 2 life with a 5/6 Tarmogoyf, but then my opponent swarmed me with 1/1's.  

Game 3:

This was kind of an intense match.  I played a turn 2 Spellskite, he tried to Path to Exile, I had Negate.  Then he had another Path to Exile, and I had no answer.  Then he played a 7/7 Bogle, and got up to 34 life.   I resolved an Engineered Explosives on 1, and a Scavenging Ooze.  Eventually, I managed to kill his Bogle with Anger of the Gods, and I had a 6/6 Ooze and a 4/5 Tarmogoyf in play.   I had a Cryptic Command and a Counterflux in hand.   He tried to suit up another guy, and then I used Counterflux.  He tried to counter it with Guttural Response, and someone else pointed out that Counterflux couldnt be countered.  So I swung for lethal. 

Match 2:  4C Gifts (2-0)

Played against my friend who I drove to the store with.

Game 1:

Milled one of my Splinter Twin with Thought Scour, next turn, I drew the other one.  Combo'd off and won.

Game 2:

This was a grindy match, where my opponent was making me discard all my stuff with Raven's Crime, while at 1 life.  I managed to topdeck Tarmogoyf and he was out of removal, so he scooped.

Match 3:   Ad Nauseum (0-2)

Game 1:

Kept a weak hand with a bunch of cantrips, couldn't draw any pressure besides a Tarmogoyf on turn 3.  Lost to the combo on turn 5.

Game 2.

I kept a hand with some disruption and Tarmogoyf, but my opponent had turn 3 combo protected with Pact of Negation.

Result:  2-1, ended up 3rd place out of 6 people, for 5 dollars store credit.  :\

Added:  My round 3 matchup from my opponent's side:
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/established-modern/221735-ad-nauseam?comment=908


No comments:

Post a Comment