Sunday, November 9, 2014

11/9/14 I Forgot to Remember to Forget (KTK draft 1-2, 0-1-1 drop)

I went to Versus Games today for the Ivan Jen celebration party.  I also joined a couple of drafts:

FIRST DRAFT

P1P1:  Rare was Deflecting Palm.  Eww. 

P2P1:  Siege Rhino for boyksVALUE.
P3P1:  See the Unwritten.

Somehow Mer-Ek Nightblade wheels in pack 3.  Wow.  

DECK:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/2014-11-09-ktk-draft-deck-1/

Match 1:  4 color stuff (2-0)

This was the guy who crushed me during one of the Journey to Nyx prerelease matches.

Game 1:

I get Trail of Mystery into ferocious See the Unwritten and Incremental Growth.  All the VALUE.

Game 2:

I play Secret Plans and draw a bunch of cards.  Yay.  

Match 2:  4 color better stuff (0-2)

This is the guy who crushed me last week with 5 color Jeskai Ascendancy + Take Up Arms + Hordeling Outburst. Gahhh.

Game 1:

Lose to nut draw of Ainok Bond-kin into Tusk-Guard Captain into double Mardu Warshrieker and a morph.  Of course my opponent also has Ghostfire Blade.

Game 2:

Lost to nut draw again.  Turn 1 Ghostfire Blade is good.

Match 3:  BW warriors (1-2)

Game 1:

 End up losing to Warrior aggro with Raider's Spoils.

Game 2:

Opponent scoops to Trail of Mystery + Secret Plans card drawing combo.  Not sure why.

Game 3:

Opponent casts Utter End on my Trail of Mystery.   I end up losing to Raider's Spoils again.

SECOND DRAFT

P1P1:   Howl of the Horde was the rare.  I took Pine Walker.

P1P2:  I took Chief of the Edge over Armament Corps. 

P1P6:   Mardu-Heart Piercer.  How does this happen?

P1P7:  Feat of Resistance.

P2P1:   Flying Crane Technique was the rare.  I think I took Salt Road Patrol.  It was a terrible pack for me.

P2P2:  I got passed Necropolis Fiend, even though this card is pretty bad for a rare.

P3P1:   I took Mardu Roughrider over Grim Haruspex.  Grim Haruspex is good, but it doesn't proc off token deaths, which is annoying.  Perhaps I should have taken the Grim Haruspex.

Deck:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/2014-11-09-ktk-draft-deck-2/

I probably should have dropped my black cards, and shifted into red/white splashing blue, or red/blue splashing white.  Unfortunately I wasn't seeing much of the good payoff cards in pack 1.

Match 1:  Abzan (1-1 draw)

Game 1:

I play turn 1 Mardu Hateblade.  My opponent plays an Archer's Parapet.   Next turn, when I attack with my Hateblade, my opponent blocks with the Parapet, and I pay for deathtouch.

My opponent plays turn 3 Rakshasa Deathdealer, I play Debilitating Injury. 

Game 2:

My opponent plays turn 2 Rakshasa Deathdealer, but decides to be passive.  It doesn't matter, because the game ends up in a huge board stall.  I manage to get him down to 4 life with Rush of Battle attack, then attack him down to 2 with an Alabaster Kirin.  He removes the Alabaster Kirin with Savage Punch.  Then he stabilizes at 2 life.  I forget I have Ruthless Ripper face down, and play out a Necropolis Fiend without flipping the Ruthless Ripper.  :(

Then next turn, he swings with his team, and I block in such a way that I die to his Master of Pearls that was face down.  Fuck me. 

I was at 13 life.  He swung with his team, I made a bunch of blocks, left my Necrpolis Fiend and Ruthless Ripper (face down) out of blocks.  I left Fiend back in case of pump so it wouldn't die.  In case he top decked a removal for Fiend post combat, I left Ripper back in case I actually topdecked another black card so I could finish him off.  So he hit me with 2 dudes, who I thought had 3 power apiece.  I accounted for double ping with Archer's Parapet for 2 dmg, but because of Raiders Spoils and Master of Pearls, they went up to 6 power apiece.  I should have just chumped with the Ruthless Ripper since my chance of topdecking a black card was slim at that point.

The worst part is that the kid's dad was hovering over the entire match.   Once I lost the dad was all haughty about it.  I had played against the dad a few months ago and he was a known complainer/whiner.  What is it with dads who complain/whine about Magic?

It also didn't help that the kid put all his lands in ONE stack on top of each other.

Game 3:

The game ends up as a draw.  Fuck.

Match 2:  Five color good stuff (1-1 draw)

Game 1:

I managed to barely win this game after going down to 1 life.  It was a ridiculous slog though.

Game 2:

I lost this game due to using my removal sheepishly, and lost to Avalanche Tusker into Icy Blast my team for lethal.

Game 3:

I go turn 1 Mardu Hateblade into turn 2 Chief of the Edge.  A Force Away and Arc Lightning lets my opponent stabilize at 9.

I almost had my opponent dead with Ponyback Brigade, Disowned Ancestor, and Rush of Battle.  Unfortunately he has Icy Blast for the first Rush, and Temur Charm for the second Rush.
  The game goes to turns, and he plays Sage of the Inward Eye into Taigam's Scheming to gain 3 life from attacking with Shambling Attendants.   The game goes to turns and I concede, since I already have 1 draw, and getting 2 draws means I likely won't win any prizes, even if I got 1 win and 2 draws, but he's got 1 win already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment