Saturday, November 8, 2014

11/7/14 KTKcraft: Sultai War (FNM KTK draft 3-0)

There was more traffic than normal.  I ended up not getting to Gamescape North until 5:45 p.m.  The store was packed with 41 people.

P1P1:  Bloodstained Mire over Mer-ek Nightblade.

P2P1:  Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker over Abzan Falconer.  At least I'm passing the insane outlast guy the other way.

P3P1:   Bellowing Saddlebrute over Hardened Scales.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/2014-11-07-pjsalt-ai-draft/

Round 1:  Jeskai (2-1)

Game 1:

Played a Villanous Wealth for 6, my opponent played End Hostilties afterwards.  However, he then flooded out, and died.

Game 2:

Played into End Hostilities, lost two Archer's Parapet, a (morphed) Abomination of Gudul, and a Swarm of Bloodflies.  Proceeded to die to Mardu Hordechief and Riverwheel Aerialists.

Game 3:

Opponent used End Hostilities, trading two Hordechiefs and his End Hostilities for four of my creatures.   That sucked.  He played a Monastery Flock (face up). I played a Sultai Scavenger.   I put Debilitating Injury on his Flock pre-combat (mistake).  Then he Crippling Chill'd my Scavenger.  Eventually we both go into topdeck mode, and I play Villainous Wealth for 9.  My opponent scoops on the spot.

Round 2:  Mardu (1-0)

Game 1:

My opponent gets me down to 2 life because of Mardu Roughrider, Chief of the Edge and Mardu Ascendancy.  He also plays Molting Snakeskin on a 1/1 warrior token.  He showed me a bunch of burn (Arc Lightning, Arrow Storm) so I needed to finish him soon.  He sac's two Goblin tokens to Dead Drop.  He's got a Warrir token with Molting Snakeskin on it, then plays a Unyielding Krumar.   I'm attacking cautiously with just Abomination of Gudul, leaving my Woolly Loxodon and Sagu Archer on defense.  I'm trying to not die, but I know he might have other burn in his deck.  Then I filter all the way to Villainous Wealth (thanks to my Abomination of Gudul) and Villainous Wealth him for 9, revealing a 1/1, a 2/2, and a 3/3.  I forget to use the Warshieker raid trigger to cast the morph in my hand (Sagu Archer).  I Erase his Molting Snakeskin (not that it really matter) then swing in my with team for lethal.

Game 2:

I have a turn 1 play (Disowned Ancestor) and my opponent's first play is Mardu Hordechief.

My opponent plays Mardu Ascendancy and Mardu Roughrider again.  I double block his Rough Rider with my 2/6 Disowned Ancestor and Sagu Archer.  He hits me for 9 with his Warshieker, Unyielding Krumar, and 3 Goblin tokens.  But then I stabilize with Hooded Hydra and Archer's Parapet.  Then the game goes to turns, and I stall for the win. 

Round 3:   Abzan (2-0)

Game 1:

My opener is Villainous Wealth and Woolly Loxodon and 5 lands.   I mull to 6, get a much better hand.  End up drawing Villainous Wealth again anyways.   My opponent only plays a Archer's Parapet.  My Hooded Hydra + Bellowing Saddlebrute make quick work of him.  Debilitating Injury post combat finishes off his Parapet. 

Game 2:

My opponent mulls to 6, but plays turn 1 Hardened Scales into turn 4 Salt Road Patrol then turn 5 Abzan Falconer.  He's also got three Feat of Resistance, Armament Corps, Mer-Ek Nightblade, and a Dragonscale Boon.   Thanks to some timely uses of removal, I manage to navigate through all the 4/9's and 11/12's.

One turn I attack with Bellowing Saddlebrute into his Abzan Falconer (4/5) and Armament Corp (4/4).  He blocks only with the Falconer.  I follow up with a Debilitating Injury.    I don't know why he didn't block with both creatures. 

Result:  3-0 (6-1 in games)

Only got five booster packs instead of the usual six booster packs.   Apparently because there were five draft pods, and six people who went 3-0.   So six people got five booster packs, instead of five people getting six booster packs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment