Monday, October 6, 2014

10/4/14 One does not simply walk into Modern (Saturday Modern 2-1)

I stayed up stupidly late for the second night in a row, playing Shadow of Mordor.  So I got 5 hours of sleep (again). There was a Modern tournament scheduled for Saturday at noon at Gamescape North.  I went to the tournament, and there were only 6 people who wanted to play Modern. 

Match 1:  Melira Pod (2-1)

Game 1:

Won off the combo.  I kinda punt because I Gitaxian Probe my opponent, and saw he didn't have double white mana in play, but he did have Linvala in hand.  I should have tapped his white mana source during his upkeep, so that if he drew a white mana during his draw step, he couldn't slam Linvala.

I end up combo'ing off the next turn, after he taps 3 land, and I tapped his white source with Pestermite.  During my turn I play Splinter Twin.

Game 2:

I lose to Resto Angel.  I can't kill that card outside of sideboard Dismember.

Game 3:

Molten Rain into Snapcaster Mage + Molten Rain + plus my other copy of Molten Rain = opponent sad face.

Barely won this game, off Tarmogoyf + Snapcaster Mage + double Pestermite beats.

I get punished because I have Molten Rain and Pestermite in hand, and he has Noble Hierarch in play, and 3 untapped lands.  I go for Pestermite to tap his Hierach so I can swing for lethal.  He has Resto Angel to blink his Noble Hierach, giving him two untapped blockers.  If I Molten Rain'd first, then he would have to tap his dudes for Resto Angel, then I could tap Hierarch after it came back, so I could tap it down with Pestermite. I attack with all, he eats a Pestermite with Angel, chumps Tarmogoyf with Hierarch.  Then next turn I swing with just Tarmogoyf, he chumps with Angel.   The turn after that, he plays Archangel of Thune, which  he chumps with.  Then eventually he scoops.   But I gave him a bunch of extra turns to find an answer.

Match 2:  R/G Tron (0-2)

Game 1:

Opponent gets turn 1 Relic into turn 2 Spellskite.  This neuters my Tarmogoyf.  He quickly gets Karn into Eye of Ugin into Emrakul, and I lose.

Game 2:

I mull to 6, keeping a hand of Lighting Bolt, 

Opponent goes turn 2 Spellskite into turn 3 Spellskite.  I should have kept in Spell Snare.  Gitaxian Probe showed me he has Boil in Hand, and double Karn, Liberated.

I punted because I didn't use my Tec Edge to kill one of his Tron pieces.   He had double Mine in play, one Power Plant, a Tower, and and had a Tower in his hand earlier (from Expedition Map).  I thought he also had a second Power Plant in hand, but it didn't matter, because he played Emrakul and wrecked me.  I got him to 2 life but it didn't matter.  I never drew any of my artifact hate/land hate besides the one Tec Edge.

Match 3:  Living End (2-0)

Game 1:

I have turn 3 Vendillion Clique to put a Violent Outburst at the bottom of his deck. He still has Demonic Dread, though.  I Cryptic Command the Demonic Dread next turn.

He takes too long to build up his GY.  By the time he does cast Demonic Dread, I counter the Living End with Remand, then burn him to death next turn.  I think he should have gone for the Demonic Dread earlier.  Maybe he was playing around Cryptic Command. 

Game 2:

I'm a bit fuzzy remembering what happened during this game.

He goes turn 4 Violent Outburst, I counter with Remand.  Turn 5 Violent Outburst, I counter with another Remand I drew.  Turn 5 he hardcasts Living End, then turn 6 I decide to not hold up Snapcaster Mage/Remand, and he punishes me with a THIRD Violent Outburst.  I lose all my guys, he gets back 4 creatures.  I have to chump one to live a turn. 

Ultimately, I end up winning because he had suspended a Living End earlier, and the suspended Living End ends up makes him burying his guys in play, and puts my Deceiver Exarch, Snapcaster Mage, and Tarmogoyf back into play.  I burn him with Lightning Bolt, untap an Island with Deceiver,  then Electrolyze for lethal.

Result:  2-1

Apparently they are getting rid of constructed events on Fridays.  They are choosing to only do constructed events on Saturdays, and they will all be competitive REL.  I am not super sure how I feel about that, since events at Gamescape North aren't the best-organized IMO.  

Of course, someone reminded me about the bathroom incident that resulted in my game loss at the GPT.  Thanks dude.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment