Saturday, October 11, 2014

10/10/14 I will survive (FNM KTK Draft 2-1)

I went over to Gamescape North to play in the FNM KTK draft.  The turnout was lower than usual (29 people).  

P1P1 Siege Rhino
P1P2 Herald of Anafenza
P1P3 Hardened Scales (speculative pick over Ruthless Ripper, ended up not playing it)
P1P4 Abzan Ascendancy

P2P1 Rattleclaw Mystic ($) over Abzan Battle Priest

P3P1 Abzan Charm over Kheru Spellsnatcher
P3P2 Necropolis Fiend over something else I needed, but man I love Necropolis Fiend

I ended up with a lot of rares in my deck, and seven outlast guys.  My other early game cards were a bit lacking (only one Archer's Parapet, no Debilitating Injury) and few morphs.   I would rate this deck a 6/10. 

Match 1:  Abzan mirror (2-0)

Game 1:

My opponent plays Duneblast both games, but I manage to win the first game, and the second game stalls out because both of us got to over 30 life (I had Abzan Guide, he had Kheru Dreadmaw)

Match 2:  BG (2-0)

Game 1:

I kept a sketchy hand with all 3 colors of mana, but no plays until turn 5.  I almost die to Highland Game + Alpine Grizzly + Savage Punch for my first creature.  But I end up stabilizing and killing him with Necropolis Fiend + Abzan Ascendancy tokens.  

Game 2:

This game goes to time again, but I manage to kill my opponent on turn 5, despite a slow play warning (?) from the judge.

Match 3: Jeskai good stuff (0-2)

Game 1:

I mull to 5, keep a 2 lander.  I play Archer's Parapet, my opponent has Crippling Chill and Singing Bell Strike for it.  I die to Scaldkin + Leaping master, and never draw a 3rd land.

Game 2:

I mull to 6, keep a 5 lander, Ainok Bond-kin.  I draw an Abzan Falconer.  My opponent's first play is Monastery Flock, face up.   He has Bring Low for my Abzan Falconer, and Force Away for my Ainok Bond-kin.   My opponent plays a Scaldkin, a Sage of  the Inward Eye, two Efreet Weaponmasters, and a Singing Bell Strike for my Longshot Squad.  I end up stabilizing at 2 life, but then he plays a Leaping Master and I draw Rattleclaw Mystic, instead of a reach/flying guy.

I felt like I played Game 2 pretty tight, unlike how I usually throw away my last two games of the night.  I think I was just in a good mood.

Result:  2-1

I opened Mardu Ascendancy (eww) and Hooded Hydra (shrug)

No comments:

Post a Comment