Friday, October 17, 2014

10/17/14 Mambo number 5 (KTK FNM draft 2-0-1)

I went to Gamescape North for the FNM draft.  I got there kind of late because I left my wallet at home.  I had to drive home (through traffic) to go and get it, and didn't arrive until 5:45 p.m.   I ended up in a pretty tough pod, with 2 pretty experienced drafters on my right and left.

P1P1:  End Hostilities

I made a mistake taking a 2nd Leaping Master over a 2nd Swiftwater Cliffs.  I ended up not playing Red as a main color, so extra fixing would have been appreciated.

P2P1:  Alabaster Kirin over Anafenza.

I took a Kill Shot over Mystic of the Hidden Way.  I never saw another Mystic of the Hidden Way, but I did see a Kill Shot in pack 3, which I passed for Highspire Mantis.

P3P1:  Kheru Spellthief over Abzan Falconer, Jeskai Charm, and Ainok Bond-kin.  Probably a mistake, since Kheru Spellthief was pretty mediocre.

I drafted four Scaldkin during the draft (not highly mind you) but ended up not playing any of them in my main deck.  

DECK
1 Dragon's Eye Savants
1 Jeskai Windscout
1 Monastery Flock
1 Mistfire Weaver
1 Kheru Spellsnatcher
1 Force Away
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Abzan Falconer
1 Watcher of the Roost
2 Alabaster Kirin
1 Feast of Resistance
1 Kill Shot
1 End Hostilities
1 Highspire Mantis
3 Efreet Weaponmaster
1 Ride Down
1 Master the Way
2 Swiftwater Cliffs
2 Tranquil Cove
6 Island
6 Plains
2 Mountain

SIDEBOARD

1 Jeskai Student
1 Salt Road Patrol
4 Scaldkin
1 Glacial Stalker
1 Blinding Spray
2 Leaping Master
1 Bloodfire Mentor
1 Barrage of Boulders
1 Arrow Storm
1 Kin-Tree Warden
1 Longshot Squad
1 Woolly Loxodon

Match 1:  Sultai (2-0)

Game 2:

I made a mistake by letting him tap Embodiment of Spring to sacrifice it the turn after he played it (it still has summoning sickness).  The only reason I noticed this, is because he played a second Embodiment of Spring the next turn, and I told him he couldn't tap and sacrifice it because it still has summoning sickness.

Match 2:  Abzan insane rares (1-1 draw)

Game 1:

I have to cast End Hostilities as a 2 for 2, to kill High Sentinels of Arashin.

I tried to get fancy with playing Kheru Spellthief (face down) then trying to Force Away Anafenza later, and trying to steal Anafenza with the spellthief.  Instead, he has Duneblast to 2 for 1 me.  

I have to use Master the Way to kill Anafenza.   I try to block Hooting Mandrills and Shambling Attendant with morph and Efreet Weaponmaster flip, but he has Become Immense to  blow me out after blocks.  I end up losing to Hooting Mandrills.

Game 2:

I have to cast End Hostilities as a 2 for 3 (I lose 2 of my creatures, and my End Hostilities) to kill his Alabaster Kirin + High Sentinels of Arashin.

I lose my Efreet Weaponmaster to Crackling Doom.  

I made a mistake by playing a morph, then not outlasting my Ainok Bond-kin so it would get flying from my Abzan falconer.  There was no reason for me to leave four mana up with my morph (my morph needed 5 to flip anyways).  Game ends up going to time, so we draw.

He also had Ivorytusk Fortress in his deck.

Match 3:    Abzan good stuff (2-1)

Game 1:

I proceed to draw 12 lands, and lose to Rakshasa Deathdealer pump to 10/10.

Game 2:

I kill Siege Rhino with Master the Way.  Wow this guy's deck is nuts.  Eventually he attacks with Rakshasa Deathdealer and plays Dragonscale Boon (for value).  I Kill Shot it, so it ends up tapped from regen, then I attack for lethal next turn thanks to Efreet Weaponmaster flip. 

Game 3:

I end up winning from Watcher of the Roost, Mistfire Weaver, and Alabaster Kirin flyer aggro.

Kind of annoying, he attacked with Temur Charger and Heir of the Wilds, and said he was casting Defiant Strike to pump his Heir of the Wilds to 3/3.  I said I was going to Kill Shot the Temur Charger to prevent him from drawing the card, but he explained he was doing the Defiant Strike pre-combat (whatever).  It didnd't matter anyways, since I end up winning with flyers.

Result:  2-0-1, 4 packs


No comments:

Post a Comment