Saturday, September 20, 2014

9/20/14 The Sultai of Swing (Khans of Tarkir prerelease 3-0-1)

I went to Gamescape North for the Khans of Tarkir prerelease at noon.  I considered bailing out and going to Two Cats Comics and Games to play at the prerelease at 3 pm, but I decided to stick with my guns.

The tournament ended up starting 30 minutes late, and the tournament ended up at max capacity (66).  I was not surprised because the Versus Games and Anime Imports prereleases both reported as being full.  I guess people really want Fetchlands.

Rares:

Sultai Ascendancy (promo)
Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
Grim Haruspex
Temur Ascendancy
Ankle Shanker
Windswept Heath

Pool:

White:  10
1 Mardu Hateblade
1 Ainok Bond-Kin
1 Seeker of the Way
1 Venerable Lammasu
-----
2 Defiant Strike
1 Feat of Resistance
1 Smite the Monstrous
2 Siegecraft

Blue:  10
1 Embodiment of Spring
1 Wetland Sambar
1 Scaldkin
1 Whirlwind Adept
1 Glacial Stalker
1 Riverwheel Aerialists
-----
1 Singing Bell Strike
1 Taigam's Scheming
1 Crippling Chill
1 Set Adrift

Black: 20
1 Ruthless Ripper
1 Gurmag Swiftwing
1 Grim Haruspex
3 Sidisi's Pet
1 Mer-ek Nightblade
1 Bellowing Saddlebrute
1 Rotting Mastodon
 2 Sultai Scavenger
3 Shambling Attendants
-----
1 Molting Snakeskin
1 Debilitating Injury
1 Bitter Revelation
1 Dutiful Return
1 Throttle
1 Dead Drop 

Red: 10
1 Horde Ambusher
1 Bloodfire Mentor
2 Bloodfire Expert
1 Mardu Warshrieker
1 Canyon Lurkers
1 Ainok Trackers
-----
1 Act of Treason
1 Bring Low
1 Burn Away

Green: 10
1 Heir of the Wilds
1 Alpine Grisly
1 Sultai Flayer
1 Sagu Archer
2 Tusked Colossodon
 ------
1 Savage Punch
2 Awaken the Bear
1 Dragonscale Boon

Multicolor:  10
1 Winterflame
1 Temur Ascendancy
1 Sultai Ascendancy
------
1 Highspire Mantis
1 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
1 Sultai Soothsayer
1 Abomination of Gudul
1 Ankle Shanker
1 Efreet Weaponmaster
1 Snowhorn Rider

Artifact:  6
1 Lens of Clarity
1 Temur Banner
1 Jeskai Banner
1 Mardu Banner
1 Sultai Banner
1 Briber's Purse

Lands:  8
1 Swamp (foil)
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Opulent Palace
1 Scoured Barrens
1 Tranquil Cove
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon

Deck:
Black:  13
1 Ruthless Ripper
1 Grim Haruspex
3 Sidisi's Pet
1 Mer-ek Nightblade
 2 Sultai Scavenger
-----
1 Debilitating Injury
1 Bitter Revelation
1 Dutiful Return
1 Throttle

Green: 6
1 Heir of the Wilds
1 Alpine Grizzlly
1 Sultai Flayer
1 Sagu Archer
1 Tusked Colossodon
----
1 Scout the Borders

Black/Blue/Green:   4
1 Sultai Ascendancy
1 Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
1 Sultai Soothsayer
1 Abomination of Gudul

Lands:  18
7 Forest
7 Swamp
1 Island
1 Opulent Palace
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Jungle Hollow

Match 1:  Sultai mirror (2-0)

Game 1:

Abomination of Gudul + Sultai Scavenger go to town, while Sidisi's Pet/Sultai Soothsayer hold the ground.

Game 2:

Dead Drop closes out the game for me.  

Match 2:  Mardu (1-1 draw)

This is the guy who ended up opening double Goblin Rabblemaster + double Paragon of Fierce Defiance + Cone of Flame the first day of the M15 prerelease, then Nissa/Garruk/Hornet Queen the second day.   Must be nice.

Game 1:

My opponent doesn't play much creature wise, somehow I end up being the beatdown.

Game 2:

I chump Zurgo Helmsmasher with Sidisi's Pet, then when I untap, I kill Zurgo with Throttle.  It doesn't matter because I begin to flood out and my opponent overruns me with 2/2's.

It also doesn't help that I attack with Sidisi, Brood Tyrant and end up milling one land, Sultai Ascendancy, and Scout the Borders.

Match 3:  Sultai mirror (1-0 win)

Game 1:

He trades his Raksha Vizier for my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant (double blocked it with a zombie token).  DEAL.  

I forget to play my Sultai Scavenger for 1 black mana, during one turn, which costs me 3 damage, but it doesn't matter because I end up winning.

Game 2:

My opponent gets a 11/11 Raksha Vizier.  Game ends up going to time, and I almost end up milling myself out thanks to Sidisi, Brood Tyrant.  Game ends in extra turns, and I had 1 card in my library at the end of the game.  I win the match because I won the first game.

Match 4:  Temur (2-1)

Game 1:

Turn 3 4/2 Alpine Grizzly turned out to be a major beating.  Debilitating Injury + Throttle sealed the deal for me.

Game 2:

Kept a 2 lander on the draw.  Proceeded to end up discarding two cards.  Died to a 2 mana 2/1 and two morph cards.  Great.

Game 3:

I had an early advantage, but my opponent stabilized at 6 life.  I had a 3/4 Mer-ek Deathblade and a 2/2 Morph.  I ended up trading my 3/4 Deathblade for his 4/2 Whirlwind Adept, so I can push 2 damage through with my Morph.  That was a mistake because my opponent ended up playing a 4/5 Glacial Stalker, which blocked my team.  I play an Abomination of Gudul, he punches it down with Savage Punch.  Of course, he's also drawing cards off his Temur Ascendancy (he played it all 3 games).

He kills one of my Sultai Scavengers, but my second one survives, and I swing for lethal. 

Result:  3-0-1, got 8 packs.  I think 4-0 got 11 packs and 3-1 got 5 (or 6) packs.  I didn't really want to stick around to find out.

I think I should have played the Riverwheel Aerialists, even though I only had 4 blue mana sources.  a 6 mana 4/5 flyer is reasonbly good.

I traded 4 Hero's Downfall + 2 Temple of Malice for a Nissa, Worldwaker.

I traded 2 Thoughtseize (Theros) + 1 Hero's Downfall for a Nissa, Worldwaker and a Jeskai Ascendancy.  This was not a good trade for me but I wanted that 4th Nissa, Worldwaker.

Then I traded a Mana Confluence + Hammer of Purphoros for a Xenagos, the Reveler.  Meh.  I think Xenagos is kinda overvalued at 18 dollars right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment