Sunday, May 4, 2014

5/4/14 Gettin' dunked (Theros block draft 1-2, 0-2 drop)

My family is visiting next weekend which is pretty annoying, since this means I need to clean up my apartment in preparation for that.   I cleaned for most of yesterday.  Today, I took a break from my cleaning to go to Versus Games for a couple of Theros block drafts.  Considering how I did in these drafts, I should have re-considered that choice.

P1P1:  Silence the Believers.  Passed a Spiteful Blow and a Feast of Dreams.    White seemed kinda open this pack, with all the Stonewise Fortifiers, and Supply-Line Cranes a man could want.

I also passed an Extinguish All Hope, which brought the person on my left into black for some reason.   He opened Ornitharch so he was solidly white because of that.   Apparently he picked up a TON of white cards because only  two people were in white that draft.

P2P1:  Took Forlorn Pseudamma over Astral Cornucopia.  Red seemed kinda open this pack with multiple Bolt of Keranos and Fall of the Hammer, but nothing super insane.

P3P1:  Stormbreath Dragon.  Took the money.

Had to pass a 3rd pick Celestial Archon.  Ugh I wish I had been in white.

(left) white/black
me - blue/black
(right) - red/green
red/green
blue/green/black
blue/white
red/blue
black/green
red/blue/green

DECK (main)

BLACK:
1 Gnarled Scarhide
1 Nyxborn Eidolon
1 Baleful Eidolon
1 Felhide Petrifier
1 Rotted Hulk
1 Erebos's Emissary
1 Nyx Infusion
1 Asphyxiate
1 Silence the Believers

BLUE:
1 Deepwater Hypnotist
1 War-Wing Siren
1 Nyxborn Triton
2 Chorus of the Tides
1 Cloaked Siren
1 Prescient Chimera
1 Sealock Monster
1 Horizon Scholar
1 Voyage's End
2 Nullify
1 Dissolve

Sideboard:
1 Forlorn Pseudamma
1 Viper's Kiss
1 Eye Gouge
1 Dark Betrayal
1 Font of Return
1 March of the Returned
1 Godhunter Octopus
1 Aerial Formation
1 Font of Fortunes
1 Stratus Walk
1 Fate Foretold
1 Rise of Eagles
1 Mortal's Resolve
1 Hopeful Eidolon
1 Leonin Snarecaster
1 Elite Skirmisher
1 Desperate Stand

Match 1:  UR rares (0-2)

Game 1:

Lost to Scourge of Fleets + Purphoros, God of the Forge.  He also had Felhide Spiritbinder which I immediately killed off.  

Opponent gives me the GG after the win.  Nice.   It also didn't help that he played Triton Shorethief both games.  

Game 2:

He drew a card before declaring untap trigger from Felhide Spiritbinder, but I let it pass.  It was still pretty annoying.  

Lost to Scourge of the Fleets + Purphoros, God of the Forge + Felhide Spiritbinder (again).  

Match 2:  GB (2-0)

Game 1:

I play turn 3 Felhide Petrifier, my opponent has Cast into Darkness.  Agh. I flood out a bit, and my opponent plays Pharika, God of Affliction and a Gray Merchant of Asphodel for 3.  

I got down to 1 life, but managed to win off a 7/9 War-Wing Siren (Erebos' Emissary and Baleful Eidolon).  

Game 2:

Opponent got color screwed (only forests) for most of the early game.  He played a Ravenous Leucrocrota which I enchanted with Pin to Earth.  Then he played a Gray Merchant of Asphodel for 2, but it wasn't enough to let him survive my Cloaked Siren bestowed with Erebos' Emissary.

Match 3:  RUG gods (1-2)

Game 1:

Opponent played a Borderland Minotaur.  When he bestowed it with Ordeal of Purphoros, I countered the Ordeal with Nullify.   Instead, I could have used Silence the Believers to remove the creature and the ordeal.  What was I thinking?  Then I countered his Pensive Minotaur with my other Nullify.  Of course, my oppponent plays Xenagos, God of Revels, and bashes my face in with a Pheres-Band Thunderhoof.  

Game 2:

I beat down with War-Wing Siren and Cloaked Siren.  

Game 3:

I end up kinda color screwed, with no islands until turn 5 or so.  

My opponent gets out Xenagos, God of Revels and Keranos, God of Storms out at the same time.  I end up dying to a Pheres-Band Thunderhoof enchanted with Ordeal of Purphoros + Xenagos trigger.  Gah.

Ended that game around 3:55 p.m, so I didn't have time to go eat something before the next draft.

P1P1:  Rare was Skybind.  Ugh.  I took Nightmarish End.

I passed THREE Ajani's Presence.  Also there was a 5th pick Magma Spray.   I see why the person on my left ended up white/red.

My picks ended up all over the place, as I had a few red cards, a couple white cards, a couple black cards. I was going to stay open in pack 2.

There was a Felhide Petrifier that I passed, which I kinda wish I hadn't passed now.

P2P1:  Rare was Forgestoker Dragon.  Snap-pick.

P3P1:  Rare was Anax and Cymede.  I took Erebos' Emissary.

I ended up getting all the red cards in Journey/Theros, no red cards in Born.   I ended up getting all the black cards in Born, none in Journey or Theros.   Thus, a recipe for disaster.

I realized I passed two Squelching Leeches, which may have sent some people into black, but I feel like it would have been a 4 mana 3/3 or 4/4 in my deck, which isn't all that great.

(left) white/red
me - black/red
(right) - green/blue
white/green
black/blue
black/blue
red/green
white/green

DECK (main):
BLACK: 12
2 Felhide Brawler
1 Bloodcrazed Hoplite
1 Nyxborn Eidolon
1 Spiteful Returned
1 Servant of Tymaret
1 Erebos's Emissary
1 Scourgemark
1 Ordeal of Erebos
1 Necrobite
1 Nightmarish End
1 Asphyxiate

RED:  11
1 Satyr Hoplite
1 Deathbellow Raider
1 Ill-Tempered Cyclops
1 Forgestoker Dragon
1 Rouse the Mob
1 Dragon Mantle
1 Twinflame
1 Fearsome Temper
1 Flurry of Horns
1 Rage of Puprhoros
1 Starfall

LANDS:
9 Swamp
8 Mountain

Sideboard:
BLACK:
1 Odunos River Trawler
1 Ashiok's Adept
1 Warchanter of Mogis
1 March of the Returned
1 Weight of the Underworld

BLUE:
1 War-Wing Siren

GREEN:
1 Spirespine (2nd pick)

RED:
2 Priest of Iroas
1 Impetuous Sunchaser
1 Wild Celebrants
1 Gluttonous Cyclops
1 Spark Jolt
2 Font of Ire
1 Starfall

WHITE:
1 Hopeful Eidolon
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Leonin Iconoclast

LANDS:
1 Temple of Triumph (needed that 4 dollars yo)

Match 4:  UB (0-2)

Game 1:

I mull to 5.  

Opponent had a deck of big-butts and I cannot lie.  He played a Chorus of the Tides, then I used Nightmareish End on it.  He played a Keepsake Gorgon and I used Asphyxiate on it.   

He has Stymied Hopes for my Nyxborn Eidolon bestow.  

Then he wipes my board with Scourge of Fleets, and I die.  I might have been able to kill him if he didn't play Chorus of the Tides to block.  I could have played Twinflame on two of my creatures to hit him for 9.  Geez.  

Game 2:

Grim Guardian + Aspect of Gorgon means I can't attack with my creatures anymore, then he plays Keepsake Gorgon into Voyage's End my bestowed Ill-Tempered Cyclops (bestowed with Nyxborn Eidolon) then Drown in Sorrow to 2 for 1 me.  Sea-God's Revenge bounces my 2/3 Minotaur tokens, and my Servant of Tyrmaret.  

I get pretty close with Deathbellow Raider with Erebos Emissary and Spiteful Returned, but he has Sudden Storm to lock me down for the win.  

Match 5:  GW (0-2)

Game 1:

Mull to 6, ended up on the draw.

Lost to Dawnbringer Charioteers bestowed with Noble Quarry and targeted by Nature's Panoply.  The sad part if that I was on the play I could have killed the damn thing with Rage of Purphoros before he untapped.

He has Armament of Nyx to keep me from racing too.  Geez.  

Game 2:

Mull to 6 again.

I Rage of Purphoros his Archetype of Courage.  

I had my opponent down to 5 life and then he topdecked Ordeal of Heliod and used double Mortal's Ardor to wipe my team (2/2 Satyr Hoplite and 2/1 Bloodcrazed Hoplite).  Gah.   I play a Forgestoker Dragon to try and finish him off, but he has Armanent of Nyx (ugh).  I die to a 4/4 Noble Quarry and Loyal Pegasus/Wingsteed Rider.

Result:   1-4 in matches, 3-11 in games.

My magic record is currently as low as Brian Dunkelman's career.  Ugh.

I think I should stick to drafting at Gamescape North/Two Cats Comics/D20 Games until I learn how to draft better.  Unfortunately, they only have drafts on Fridays.  Technically D20 games does a draft on Sundays but I don't think it fills.

No comments:

Post a Comment