Saturday, May 3, 2014

5/2/14 Revisiting the past (Theros block draft 3-1)

I stayed up super late last night, playing Amazing Spiderman 2 on Xbox 360.   I stayed up until 3 am last night and woke up around 9 am.  I wanted to sleep more than just six hours, especially since I was already feeling tired.

I still want to finish these games someday:
Deus Ex:  Human Revolution
Dishonored
Splinter Cell:  Blacklist
Xenoblade Chronicles

They had sealed over at Gamescape North, but I wanted to avoid the Gamescape North scene for a bit.

 So I went over to Two Cats Comics instead.   I remember having to leave at 4:30 p.m. to make it to Two Cats in time for their 5 p.m. draft.  (I showed up late for two drafts and got turned away).  I wasn't terribly fond of the crowd at Two Cats (too many high schoolers for my tastes) but I was willing to give it another try.

I got there at 5:20 p.m. and it looked prettty deserted.   Apparently the draft started at 6 p.m., not 5:30 p.m. like it used to be.  So I got to the tournament 40 minutes early for no raisin.  :P  10 people showed up in total.  Also the draft price got cut from 15 dollars to 9 dollars, which was nice.

P1P1:  Rare was Bearer of the Heavens.  I took Reprisal over Golden Hind.

I took Phalanx Formation over Stonewise Fortifier.

P2P1:  Rare was Fate Unraveler.  I took this over Oreskos Sun Guide.

I took a Ghostblade Eidolon over Bile Blight.  Good thing, since black was clearly cut in BNG.  I didn't see any Asphyxiate or Servant of Tymaret.

P3P1:  Rare was Anger of the Gods (foil) and Fleecemane Lion.  I took Ill-Tempered Cyclops.

I took Ordeal of Purphoros over Hopeful Eidolon.  This was a tough choice, since Hopeful Eidolon is more useful all around, but Ordeals can result in a "broken" start.

Turned out person on my right was white/green, with triple Reap What is Sown.  Person on my left was red/green (challenge).

Someone walked away with:
Mana Confluence
Xenagos, The Reveler
Temple of Abandon
Karametra God of Harvests (3 dollars, lol)

Another person got Brimaz.

DECK (main)
1 Nyxborn Rollicker
1 Sigiled Skink
4 Kragma Butcher
2 Ill-Tempered Cyclops
1 Fanatic of Mogis
1 Labyrinth Champion
1 Pharagax Giant
1 Dragon Mantle
1 Ordeal of Purphoros
1 Magma Jet

1 Nyxborn Shieldmate
1 Oreskos Sun Guide
1 Oreskos Swiftclaw
1 Ghostblade Eidolon
1 Akroan Mastiff
1 Reprisal
1 Phalanx Formation
1 Excoriate

Sideboard:
1 Pharika's Chosen
1 Bloodcrazed Hoplite
1 Felhide Brawler
1 Grim Guardian
1 Fate Unraveler
1 Cavern Lampad
1 Disciple of Phenax
1 Archetype of Finality
1 Font of Return
1 Pin to the Earth
1 Reviving Melody
1 Culling Mark
1 Market Festival
1 Wild Celebrants
1 Rouse the Mob
1 Demolish
1 Rage of Purphoros
1 Starfall
1 Ray of Dissolution

I tried to draft a durdly white/black control deck, but ended up white/red because I saw so many good red cards in pack 2.  I possibly could have tried to audible into black/red, though I saw NO playable black cards in BNG besides Archetype of Finality and the Fate Unraveler I opened.  The white cards I had weren't terribly good.   I think the only white card I had from Theros was Ray of Dissolution.

Technically 16 creatures, though really Nyxborn Shieldmate + Nyxborn Rollicker + Ghostblade Eidolon should almost always be played as buffs.

Match 1:  UW (2-0)

Game 1:
Opponent kept a 5 lander, only played 2 spells.  Fun magic.

Game 2:
This was a longer game, but between Kragma Butcher army, Phalanx Formation and Dauntless Onslaught I grind him out.

Match 2:   UW (1-0)

Game 1:
I played Labyrinth Champion and killed a Dawbringer Charioteers with it, using Phalanx Formation on it.  Of course, my opponent was tapped out, or I wouldn't have gone for it.

It gets grindy with my opponent playing Silent Sentinel and Supply-Line Cranes.   Eventually I manage to get him when I attack with 2 creatures, he doesn't block, and I use Dauntless Onslaught to kill him. 

Game 2:
Opponent mulls to 6, then drops from the tournament to go watch Amazing Spiderman 2.  Value.  

Match 3:  UG (1-2)
Game 1:
I mull to 6, win off turn 1 Nyxborn Rollicker into turn 2 Ordeal, then turn 3 Kragma Butcher and turn 4 Ill-Tempered Cyclops.

Game 2:
Lose this game to Gold-forged Sentinel and Sealock Monster.

Game 3:
Lose this game to Pheres-Band Centaur into Leafcrown Dryad bestowed Omenspeaker, then played Vaporkin into Hour of Need for 3.

Opponent apparently had three Sudden Storm and Hydra Broodmaster in his deck.

Match 4:  BW (2-0)
Game 1:
My opponent plays a turn 1 Gnarled Scarhide, and turn 3 Mogis's Marauder for an aggro-ish start.  Also he's playing Traveler's Amulet but doesn't seem to be playing any other colors besides white/black.

This game gets grindy with my opponent playing Gorgon's Head and Returned Centaur and Rescue from the Underworld.

My opponent gets a bit mad when he uses Boon of Erebos on his Returned Centaur, thinking it would kill my  Kragma Butcher (inspire buff) bestowed with Ghostblade Eidolon.  He thought it meant his guy kills mine, but he didn't realize his Centaur actually dies then leaves combat due to regen during first strike damage.

I play THREE of my Kragma Butchers in this game.  He plays a 7/7 Nighthowler when he's at 3 life, but I have 3 attackers with 3+ power.   So that's the end of the game.

Game 2:
I keep a slow hand, but I have Reprisal.  My opponent plays turn 3 Master of Feasts, I snap Reprisal that.

My opponent never seems to draw his white mana, with a grip of white cards.

Result:  3-1, got 15 dollars store credit with a pile of cards with no bombs.


No comments:

Post a Comment