Saturday, May 17, 2014

5/16/14 Must be nice (to have it all) (Theros Block Draft 1-0-1)

I spent an hour driving to Versus Games tonight.  I was in a foul mood when I got there, and my tournament wasn't going to be much better.

P1P1:  Rare was Dawnbringer Charioteers.

I got passed a P2 Spawn of Thraxes.  I should have gone into red, but instead I took Sightless Brawler over foil Bloodcrazed Hoplite and Satyr Hoplite.  

I should have worried that I wasn't seeing any Supply-Line Cranes/Ajani's Presence/Oreskos Swiftclaw in the packs.   I passed an Armament of Nyx and two Oppressive Rays.    No Golden Hind or Oakheart Dryads.  

P2P1:   Rare was Hero of Iroas.  

I got passed a P2 Eidolon of Countless Battles.  It turned out the person on my left opened Ajani, Mentor of Heroes.  Yet he passes Eidolon of Countless Battles.  WTF.  

I see a Bolt of Keranos, and a couple Kragma Butchers.   No Fall of the Hammer though.  

P3P1:   Rare was Colossus of Akros.  I took Time to Feed.

I took a Favored Hoplite over Cavalry Pegasus.  That was wrong because I didn't have enough targeted effects to make Favored Hoplite worthwhile. 

If I had gone red instead of green I could have had double Satyr Hoplite and double Bladetusk Boar.  My deck would have looked different, for sure.

DECK (main):
GREEN:
1 Nessian Courser
2 Raveous Leucrocruta
1 Nessian Asp
1 Karametra's Favor
2 Time to Feed
1 Colossal Heroics
1 Reviving Melody

WHITE:
2 Stonewise Fortifier
1 Sightless Brawler
1 Spirit of the Labyrinth
1 Hero of Iroas
1 Elite Skirmisher
1 Eagle of the Watch
1 Eidolon of Countless Battles
1 Dawnbringer Charioteers
1 Mortal's Ardor
1 Divine Verdict

GREEN/WHITE:
1 Chronicler of Heroes
1 Reap What is Sown

ARTIFACT:
1 Gold-Forged Sentinel

LANDS:
9 Plains
8 Forest

Sideboard:
1 War-Wing Siren
1 Nullify
2 Humbler of Mortals
1 Aspect of Hydra
1 Hunt the Hunter
1 Commune with the Gods
1 Shredding Winds
1 Kragma Butcher
1 Thunderous Might
1 Lightning Volley
1 Yoked Ox
1 Favored Hoplite
1 Ephara's Radiance
1 Font of Vigor
1 Last Breath
1 Revoke Existence
1 Vanquish the Foul

15 creatures
8 noncreature spell

Three bomb rares, but not much support cards.   Divine Verdict and double Time to Feed seems good, but I didn't have many big green bodies to take advantage of the Time to Feeds, nor any green heroic guys to get big off the Time to Feed.

Lack of Voyaging Satyr/Golden Hind, and bestow guys, and combat tricks.  Ajani's Presence or a Battlewise Valor would have been great.  But basically my combat tricks were:

Reap What is Sown (very good)
Colossal Heroics (very good)
Mortal's Ardor (bleh)

Colors:
(left)  blue/green/white
(me)  White/green
(right)  Red/green (?)
Red/black
White/black
Blue/green
Red/black
White/blue

So green was really cut, and so was white.

Round 1:  UG (2-0)

Game 1:

My opponent mulls to 5.  I miss two onboard kills with Hero of Iroas/Elite Skirmisher/Spirit of the Labyrinth and Eidolon of  Countless Battles (mainly I miss that I can bestow for 3 because of Hero of Iroas).   He draws a bunch of cards off Nyxborn Triton bestowed with Oracle's Insight and Nimbus Naiad.   However I end up winning off Dawnbringer Charioteers into a trick on my Elite Skirmisher to tap down his flying blocker.  Geez.  

Game 2:

He plays a turn 5 Arbor Colossus (must be nice) and I have Divine Verdict for it when he attacks on turn 6.  He has Retraction Helix to save it.  He replays it that turn.  Next turn I draw a land and I use Vanquish the Foul on it.  Begone Giant.  

I end up having to kill his Sigiled Starfish with my Hero of Iroas and Time to Feed.   He plays a Triton Shorestalker, eventually bestowing it with Nylea's Emissary.  Instead of bestowing his Pheres-Band Thunderhoof.  Ok.

I force a block by attacking with my 2/2 Stonewise Fortifier and 6/5 Hero of Iroas. (bestowed with Sightless Brawler).  He blocks the Fortifier with his Thunderhoof, I have Reap What is Sown and Mortal's Ardor to kill his 3/4 Pheres-Band Thunderhoof.    (what).  

I miss a kill because I decide to save mana for Shredding Winds during his turn, instead of playing Nessian Courser.  He plays a Chorus of the Tides and I pop it off, but now I can't swing for lethal.   It ultimately didn't matter because he didn't draw any answers for my guys.  

He complained a lot about how I had insane rare cards.

Round 2:   WB (1-1 draw)

Game 1:

Opponent plays Gorgon's Head into Soldier of the Pantheon into bestow Sightless Brawler into Evangel of Heliod.  Crap.   Now he has a ton of deathtouch 1/1's.    He gets me down to 6 life, but I play a Dawnbringer Charioteers and get it up to a 5/7 with Eidolon of Countless Battles.  

He has Excoriate for my Dawnbringer Charioteers.   I end up trading my 2/2 Eidolon for a 1/1 deathtouch soldier token, because it looked like I was just drawing lands.  Eventually I get a Stonewise Fortifier which can block his deathtouch guy, but he has a 1/4 deathtouch Wavecrash Triton and a 0/4 Mnemonic Wall.   So attacking won't do much for me.

I lose to stall/mill (mainly Countermand, Mindreaver, Wavecrash Triton, Gorgon's Head, and Mnemonic Wall).  

Game 2:

I had Revoke Existence for his Gorgon's Head this time.   I block with Soldier of the Pantheon with my Sightless Brawler, then he plays an Oreskos Swiftclaw into Hopeful Eidolon bestow.  I Time to Feed his Oreskos Swiftclaw with my Nessian Asp while he's tapped out.   I have Last Breath for his Akroan Mastiff, but I wait until he's mostly tapped down, since he showed me double Battlewise Valor last game.   It was probably unnecessary for me to Time to Feed, but I didn't know when I would draw 7 mana, and I wanted to turn off Battlewise Valor as an out to my Asp.  

Eventually, an 8/9 Nessian Asp and 4/4 Gold Forged Sentinel win the game for me.  

Game 3:

I get double Ravenous Leocrucota.   My opponent attacks me with Akroan Mastiff twice, I sense Battlewise Valor, so I don't block.   When he taps out for Godhunter Octopus, I kill the Akroan Mastiff with Time to Feed.

Then time gets called.  I play a Gold Forged Sentinel on turn 2 of extra turns. But I am unable to kill him before turns end.   I have double Leocrucota, Hero of Iros, and Gold Forged Sentinel.  The game ends with Eidolon of Countless Battles and Sightless Brawler in my hand, and my opponent having Godhunter Octopus and Wavecrash Triton in play.  

I can't believe I lost a game to Countermand/Gorgon's Head/Mindreaver.  

Round 3:   BGw Ajani (0-2)

Game 1:

I play a turn 2 Sightless Brawler, my opponent has a bunch of bounce spells so I can never attack with it.  

Opponent plays a Sealock Monster, I have to 3-1 myself to kill it (I attack with Nessian Courser, Sightless Brawler, he blocks Courser, I cast Time to Feed on Sightless Brawler and Nessian Courser).   Of course, next turn he plays Ajani, finds an Aerie Worshippers off it.  He attacks me with the Aerie Worshippers.  I try to kill Ajani with my Eagle of the Watch and Nessian Asp but he has Colossal Heroics to blow me out, making a bird token and blocking my Nessian Asp with the Aerie Worshippers.  Geez.   I use Reviving Melody on Sightless Brawler and Spirit of the Labyrinth to try and get back into the game, but he has Hubris to bounce one of my guys, and then TOPDECKS Seagod's Revenge to bounce my board and swing for lethal.   Must be nice.  

Earlier in the match, he Griptides one of my guys, but doesn't say what spell he's playing, just says he's bouncing my guy, so I put in my hand, and then he says I need to put in my library, so I put in on my library, and then he checks my library because he says the card touched my hand.  Does he need to be a douchebag at FNM?  Geez.  

Game 2:

Same thing, I get a turn 2 Sightless Brawler, and have him down to 7 life, but end up losing to turn 4 Aerie Worshippers with turn 5 Raised by Wolves on it.  Plus Hubris/Aerial Formation/Unravel the Aether (for my Sightless Brawler when I cast Time to Feed) to blow me out.  Does this guy have to have EVERYTHING?   

Result:  1-0-1 

No comments:

Post a Comment