Monday, May 19, 2014

5/19/14 An Enchanted Evening (Theros Block draft) 2-0-1

I was feeling kinda sleepy, but I decided to go to Versus Games for a Theros block draft.   Traffic was super light today, so I got there around 6:35 p.m.

P1P1:  Daring Thief.

I got PASSED an Eidolon of Blossoms pick 2.  Geez.

Got a 6th pick Golden Hind, which makes me think nobody was in green.

P2P1:   Scourge of Skola Vale over Aerie Worshippers.

I passed a couple of Karametra's Favor and a Stratus Walk.  It would have been a neat combo with the Eidolon of Blossoms and the Triton Cavalry but I felt like it wasn't really necessary to draft cards specifically to make Eidolon of Blossoms better.

P3P1:   Voyage's End over Artisan of Forms.

I passed a couple of Aqueous Forms, which would have been nice on my Daring Thief/Aerie Worshippers, but not super necessary.

Got a 7th pick Nessian Asp.

Got a LAST pick Scholar of Athreos.  Really?

DECK:

GREEN:  14

2 Sedge Scorpion
1 Golden Hind
1 Scourge of Skola Vale
1 Noble Quarry
1 Oakheart Dryads
1 Agent of Horizons
1 Graverobber Spider
1 Eidolon of Blossoms
1 Nessian Asp
1 Nessian Game Warden
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Time to Feed
1 Feral Invocation

BLUE:  9
1 Daring Thief
1 Cloaked Siren
2 Aerie Worshippers
1 Triton Tactics
1 Stratus Walk
1 Voyage's End
1 Griptide
1 Sudden Storm

LANDS:
9 Forest
8 Island

SIDEBOARD:

2 Deepwater Hypnotist
1 Riptide Chimera
1 Triton Cavalry
1 Godhunter Octopus
2 Divination
1 Forsaken Drifters
1 Rescue from the Underworld
1 Flamespeaker's Will
1 Riddle of Lightning
1 Satyr Wayfinder
1 Satyr Grovedancer
1 Pheres-Band Thunderhoof
1 Consign to Dust
2 Scholar of Athreos
1 Shipwreck Singer
1 Reap What is Sown

Ended up with 5 total enchantments (including Eidolon of Blossoms).  I thought about adding the Riptide Chimera but I felt like I needed more enchantments to want to play that, specifically, more cantrip enchantments.  I only had one cantrip enchantment (the Stratus Walk).

Match 1:  BR (1-1 draw)

Game 1:

I mull to 6, play a turn 5 Nessian Game Warden.

Opponent got Whip of Erebos out, turn 8.  I lost to a 5/5 Pharagax Giant enchanted with Grisly Transformation, and I had no bounce for it.

Possible waste:  I used Time to Feed + Triton Tactics on my Sedge Scorpion to kill a 3/3 Satyr Hoplite.  Probably not actually necessary, but I figured I needed to kill it sooner or later.

Game 2:

I boarded into Consign to Dust.

Turn 4 Whip of Erebos again.  This game ends up super grindy, with my opponent gaining 30+ life, but I pull off the Eidolon of Blossoms + Aerie Worshippers enchanted with Stratus Walk + Oakheart Dryads combo, putting an enchantment bird token into play, drawing a card, and giving a creature +1/+1 until end of turn.

I kinda punt, when he goes for the 5/5 Pharagax Giant into Grisly Transformation combo, I don't bounce his guy in response with Voyage's End.  So he gets to draw a card and draw the game out.

Game 3:

Game went to time (sigh).

Match 2:   UG (2-0)

Game 1:

I got out a 5/5 Mistcutter Hydra enchanted with Noble Quarry, and my opponent had no way of dealing with it.

I had to tell my opponent about ordering blockers before casting buffs to keep his creatures alive.  He had a 2/2 Kiora's Follower and a 1/3 enchantment Spider.  He cast Aerial Formation on his Follower before I had assigned damage.  It didn't really matter in this case, since I wanted the Kiora's Follower dead, anyways.

I missed an Eidolon of Blossoms trigger but it didn't matter.

Game 2:

Again, I got out a 4/4 Mistcutter Hydra.  He had nothing that could possibly kill it (?).

Match 3:  Monowhite (2-1)

Game 1:

My opponent mulled to 5, goes turn 2 Vanguard of Brimaz into turn 3 Ordeal of Heliod.

I took 4 unecessary damage from a Vanguard of Brimaz enchanted with Ordeal of Heliod, because I played a forest instead of an island (so I could play Voyage's End).

I had to tell my opponent how Armament of Nyx worked.  He thought it gave all creatures double strike.  I told him it only gave enchantment creatures double strike.  Otherwise, it prevents all damage from non-enchantment creatures.

Ended up dropping to 1 life because of all his aggression.

I had Consign to Dust, and ended up playing it for 2 to destroy Armanent of Nyx on my Daring Thief, and his Eidolon of Rhetoric.  I probably could have waited until he played a third enchantment, as I had nine mana up, but I just wanted to use it EOT.

My opponent had topdeck Hopeful Eidolon on Decorated Griffin, Spirit of the Labyrinth, and Akroan Mastiff.  I had Nessian Asp, a Nessian Game Warden enchanted with Stratus Walk,  and a Daring Thief.  I beat the game thanks to topdeck Sudden Storm.

Game 2:

I mull to 5, but end up not nearly as lucky as my opponent did first game.

He had Akroan Mastiff and Loyal Pegasus with Ordeal of Heliod (again) to mess me up.  I had Sudden Storm to slow down his aggro a bit, and managed to double block his Pegasus with two Bird Tokens from my Aerie Worshippers.  I had scryed my other Aerie Worshippers to the bottom and proceeded to draw straight lands.

Game 3:

I mull to 6, keep a 2 lander, but it was a fairly decent hand with Satyr Grovedancer, Agent of Horizons, Nessian Game Warden, and Feral Invocation.   I play Satyr Grovedancer into Agent of Horizons into Feral Invocaton.  My opponent plays a Hopeful Eidolon enchanted with Armament of Nyx and a Vanguard of Brimaz.  I attack with my Grovedancer and my 5/4 Agent, he double blocks with the Eidolon and Vanguard.  Griptide on the Vanguard is a 2 for 1.   Then he plays a Loyal Pegasus and the Vanguard of Brimaz.  I attack again, he double blocks my agent, and I cast Triton Tactics, giving both my guys +0/+3.  So yet another 2 for 1.  I beat him for another 7 damage next turn, and play an Eidolon of Blossoms.  Then he plays an Oreskos Sun Guide.  I make my Agent unblockable, and attack with all 3 guys, he blocks my Eidolon of Blossoms with his Sun Guide, and plays Battlewise Valor.  He's down to 4 life now.  He basically has no plays, and concedes.

Result:  2-0-1, three packs of M14.  Got an Imposing Sovereign, Dismiss into Dream, and

No comments:

Post a Comment