Friday, April 25, 2014

4/24/14 If I ruled the world (Thursday BNG-THS-THS draft) 2-1

I went to Versus Games to draft (twice).

P1P1:  Rare was Gild, which I took.  I passed Akroan Skyguard to my left.

2nd pick Siren of the Silent Song

3rd pick Asphyxiate over Archetype of Imagination.

7th pick Ephara's Enlightement.  Really.

9th pick Retraction Helix over Deepwater Hypnotist or Nyxborn Eidolon.

Green/red seemed a bit open, as I was getting 12th and 13th pick Fearsome Temper.  It was weird because it turned out the two people to my immediate right were in red/blue.

P2P1:  Rare was Artisan of Forms.  I took Vaporkin over Baleful Eidolon.

Took 2nd pick Gray Merchant of Asphodel over Insatiable Harpy and Griptide and Shipwreck Singer.  Probably not the greatest idea.  None of the other cards came back, sadly.  :(

P3P1:  Rare was Hammer of Purphoros, which I hate picked over a 3rd Sip of Hemlock.

Took 2nd pick Nimbus Naiad over Nessian Asp.

DECK (main)

1 Returned Phalanx
1 Nyxborn Eidolon
1 Felhide Minotaur
1 Servant of Tymaret
1 Returned Centaur
1 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Marshmist Titan
1 Pharika's Cure
1 Read the Bones
1 Asphyxiate
1 Gild
2 Sip of Hemlock

1 Vaporkin
1 Wavecrash Triton
1 Nimbus Naiad
2 Sealock Monster
1 Retraction Helix
1 Divination
1 Curse of the Swine

1 Guardians of Meletis
1 Siren of the Silent Song

DECK(sideboard)

1 Ashiok's Adept
1 Returned Centaur
1 Dark Betrayal
1 Lost in a Labyrinth
2 Annul
1 Stymied Hopes
1 Satyr Hedonist
1 Swordwise Centaur
1 Arena Athlete
1 Ill-Tempered Cyclops
2 Fearsome Temper
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Traveling Philosopher
1 Griffin Dreamfinder
1 Bronze Sable
1 Opaline Unicorn
1 Ephara's Enlightenment

Dat 14 creature deck.   Not excited about the Felhide Minotaur or the Returned Centaur, but not every black common creature can be Returned Phalanx or Baleful Eidolon.

I was black/blue.  Going right, the table seemed to be:

Blue/red
Blue/red
Black/red
White/green
White/green
White/red
White/green

So black wasn't being drafted much.

Match 1:  WG (2-0)

Game 1:

Timely removal spells get me through this game without too much issue.  My opponent plays a late Wingsteed Rider.  Sealock Monster + Servant Tymaret bestowed with Nimbus Naiad mop up the game.

His Nylea's Presence allows me to attack him with my Sealock Monster without monstrousing, weee.

Game 2:

I remove my opponent's turn 3 Wingsteed Rider with a turn 3 Asphyxiate.   Then he plays a Lagonna Band Elder gaining 3 off his Nylea's Presence.

Game starts to stall a bit, with my opponent getting a Leafcrown Dryad with Gift of Immortality on it, and a *splash* Baleful Eidolon (nonbestow).  I have a 5/4 Returned Phalanx (bestowed with Nyxborn Eidolon) and a 10/10 monstrous Sealock Monster bestowed with Nimbus Naiad.  Curse of the Swine clears up my opponent's side of the board, and I finish him off with two swings from my Sealock Monster and a Sip of Hemlock.

Match 2:  UR (0-2)

Game 1:

Mulled a 2 island hand, with a few black spells.
Mulled a 1 lander.
Kept a 1 lander 5.

He plays a turn 2 Omenspeaker.  I miss my land drop turn 2.  Turn 3 I get my second swamp.
I had Pharika's Cure for his Two-Headed Cerberus.   I just cast it right away, without waiting for him to play something on his Cerberus.

He has Dissolve for my Siren of the Silent Song.

Unfortunately he puts Dragon Mantle and Aqueous Form on his Omenspeaker.   Asphyxiate no longer works since his creature is untapped.  I play a Wavecrash Triton, and he has Griptide for it.  He bestows his Omenspeaker with Purphoros's Emissary.   I never reach 6 mana for my Sip of Hemlock, so I die.

Game 2:

This was a bit closer.  He goes for the Voltron Dragon Mantle + Aqueous Form + Omenspeaker again.  I have Gild for it.  Then he plays another dude with Dragon Mantle, plus plays a Floodtide Serpent.  I have to deploy Curse of the Swine so he doesn't get a ton of card advantage off Dragon Mantle + Floodtide Serpent.  I'm swinging in with a 4/2 Vaporkin.  Then next turn he plays a Thunder Brute.  I let it be a 5/5 haste.  Next turn he draws into Stratus Walk to make it a flyer.

I play a Returned Centaur which mills his Lightning Strike.  But he has Sudden Storm to lock down my Returned Centaur + Vaporkin.  I only have 7 mana to play either Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Nimbus Naiad.  I try to play Gray Merchant of Asphodel to lock up the game, but it didn't matter, since he Dissolved the Gray Merchant.  I wish I had the Annul in my hand a turn earlier to counter his Stratus Walk.

I might have lost the game by not swinging with Servant of Tymaret to gain 1 more life and live a turn, but he mentioned that he still had Voyage's End.

Match 3:  Opponent no-show

Opponent left after pairings.   I guess he was hungry and wanted to leave before the nearby restaurants closed, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment