Monday, June 16, 2014

12/27/13 (flashback Modern tournament post, 2-0-2)

I ran the ProtossX Jund list at FNM tonight, with some variations due to not being able to get cards in time for the tournament. I ordered the cards I needed on Sunday and had them shipped 2 day USPS priority mail, but due to the Christmas holiday, I didn't receive the package by today. 

The substitutions I had to settle for:

Blood Crypt instead of Lavaclaw Reaches
Chandra, Pyromaster instead of Grim Lavamancer

2 Ancient Grudge instead of Avalanche Riders
1 Rakdos Charm instead of Jund Charm
1 Maelstrom Pulse instead of Dismember
1 Olivia Voldaren instead of Tectonic Edge

DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
24 LANDS
4 Marsh Flats
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Raging Ravine
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Forest
2 Blood Crypt

18 CREATURES
4 Deathrite Shaman
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Scavenging Ooze
4 Dark Confidant
1 Grim Lavamancer
15 INSTANTS AND SORCERIES
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Abrupt Decay
3 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Maelstrom Pulse

4 OTHER SPELLS
4 Liliana of the Veil


Match 1: GB Kibler midrange 1-1 draw

Game 1:

Gave him a beatdown with Tarmogoyf, then nickel and dimed him out with Deathrite Shaman. 

Game 2:

Abrupt Decay is very good against my deck, with all the 1-2-3 drops. Frown 

He had me on the backfoot with Arbor Colossus monstrosity, and a Reaper of the Wilds. I decided to quadruple?? block the Colossus, which wasn't so good, since it was a 4 for 1. Of course, two turns later I draw a Terminate. He plays another Reaper of the Wilds and I can't terminate since he has mana up for the hexproof ability. Bleh. 

Game 3:

It was turn 4 (of extra turns). I was at 4 life, he was at 6. He had a Reaper of the Wilds in play. I had two Tarmogoyf and a Dark Confidant in play. I accidentally thought he was at 9 life, so I thought I couldn't kill him. There was some confusion because he said I put a land into play tapped so I couldn't Lightning Bolt him so I used a search land, put a Blood Crypt into play untapped, then bolted him, but forgot to write down the 3 life. 

Later, he told me I could have attacked him, but he had a Hero's Downfall for one of my Tarmogoyf, and would have blocked the other Tarmogoyf with Reaper. Then it would be turn 5 and he couldn't kill me. 

Match 2: UW control 2-0

Game 1: 

I Thoughtseize away a Supreme Verdict, leave him with Frost Titan. 

I get the Liliana of the Veil ultimate off. Game over.

Game 2:

He plays a Isperia, Supreme Judge. I kill it with Maelstrom Pulse and finish him off with Deathrite Shaman and Grim Lavamancer. 

Match 3: UWR control 1-1 draw

Game 1:

I win off Liliana of the Veil tearing apart his hand, and Tarmogoyf.

Game 2:

Lose to counters/burn/Snapcaster. 

Game 3:

He kills/counters all my threats (damn topdecked Spell Snare a turn after I Thoughtseize. I end up drawing a crapton of land (and no manlands), so we go to time. 

Match 4: 5 color sliver 2-0

Game 1:

Opponent mulls to 5. I get off the Liliana of the Veil ultimate. Scoop phase.

Game 2:

This game ends up kinda grindy, because my opponent plays Boros Charm to keep his slivers alive. Instead of going for the Grim Lavamancer orDeathrite Shaman kill strategy, I end up spending multiple turns on using Raging Ravine only to have it repeatedly chump blocked. If I had just focused on burning him out with shaman instead I could have ended the game five turns earlier. 

Result:

2-0-2

8th place out of 28, six booster packs for my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment